Pong 3D.

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
nikki
Old One

Pong 3D.

Post by nikki »

Hello everybody!

This is my first 3D game written in C++. It's basically a remake of Pong where you control both bats and have to keep the ball on the table as long as possible. It includes some nice particle effects and stuff. I made all the models and textures myself (except for ol' stevecube of course!). You have to use the mouse to control the bats. If you press the left mouse button, everything stops and you can change your view around the table by using the mouse and E and D keys to zoom in and out respectively. Here's a screenshot:-

Here's the (new) download link:-
Link
To run it, go to the installation folder and run Pong 3D.

If you are having problems with the vc80 runtimes, download an MSI to fix them here:-
Link

I hope you like it. Please do put up your highest times! :D
Last edited by nikki on Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
eugen
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by eugen »

:( the application failed to run cause the configuration application is incorect...i have changed the rendering Device with my own but still no success!
Olex
Hobgoblin

Post by Olex »

You have compiled it using vc8, which means you need to provide appropertiate dlls( i'm missing msvcr80.dll for example ), and possibly have users install .net 2.0 framework.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Here's a download for msvcr80.dll:-
<removed>
Last edited by nikki on Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Works fine here, but I have MSVC2005 installed.
Nikki, there is a slight problem when using MSVC2005 and redistributing executable made with it, simply redistributing the runtime libs won't help. See here for some details on this: http://www.stevestreeting.com/?p=181
And here a proposal to solve it: http://www.stevestreeting.com/?p=183

Btw, the game is hard like hell. :)
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Btw, the game is hard like hell.
Really? What's your highest score? By the way, I'll be looking into MSI installers soon.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

I only lasted 10 seconds max. Maybe you could make speed adjustable. And you could highten the contrast between the table and the tabs, dark brown on dark green is not too good visible. :)
team-pantheon programmer
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Cool! I got 48 seconds. Yep, I'll make speed adjustable. Actually, the speed keeps increasing as you play, and thats what makes it so difficult.
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

This and my rather high mouse resolution.
team-pantheon programmer
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Well, I have uploaded an MSI installer for those who have problems due to the fact that they do not have Visual C++ 2005. Here it is:-
Link
Ayudo
Halfling

Post by Ayudo »

very nice little game.
but yes maybe let the speed increase slower and start slower.
and is the speed defined by per frame or per timeinterval?
in first case it would be harder to play on good computers.

congrats!

ps: i made up to 21 seconds ;-)
Rodif
Halfling

Post by Rodif »

I think u might be basing your ball speed off of frame callback not a fixed speed because I was well over 100 seconds and the ball was still going REALLY slow. I have an older machine here at work.
Ayudo
Halfling

Post by Ayudo »

Rodif wrote:... I was well over 100 seconds and the ball was still going REALLY slow...
Cheater! ;-)
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Yeah, you're right. I'll change it so that it isn't based upon frametime.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Update:

I have made some changes to the game, and have uploaded it witha new NSIS installer. The ballSpeed increase rate doesn't depend upon frametime now! So what are you waiting for? Download it (first post) !
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Useful utility btw. Get Depends. Not the diaper... It tells you every dll that your app implicitely links to. If ANYTHING looks like the user won't have it, package it with your app.

As for the .NET dependency, that sucks!
mandarthite
Gnoblar

Re: Pong 3D.

Post by mandarthite »

nikki wrote:Hello everybody!

This is my first 3D game written in C++. It's basically a remake of Pong where you control both bats and have to keep the ball on the table as long as possible. It includes some nice particle effects and stuff. I made all the models and textures myself (except for ol' stevecube of course!). You have to use the mouse to control the bats. If you press the left mouse button, everything stops and you can change your view around the table by using the mouse and E and D keys to zoom in and out respectively. Here's a screenshot:-

Here's the (new) download link:-

Link

To run it, go to the installation folder and run Pong 3D.

If you are having problems with the vc80 runtimes, download an MSI to fix them here:-

Link

I hope you like it. Please do put up your highest times! :D
Hello Nikki,

Hope you still there. I need your kind help. I am working on a project which replaces conventional user i/p devices like mice with some handsfree device. For that I need source code of the 3D Pong game designed by you, since it will take too long for me to design altogether new game using OGRE. Your game can be very good testing platform. If plagiarism is source of your worry, then let me assure you that your name will be cited wherever your code is used and any changes made in your part of code will be made open source. Hope you will consider. Thanks.

-Mandar

-
NoodlesOnMyBack
Goblin

Post by NoodlesOnMyBack »

Any alternative download link? I dont want to register in filefront.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

4 years later?
Heh - a blast from the past. :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
danharibo
Minaton

Post by danharibo »

jacmoe wrote:4 years later?
Heh - a blast from the past. :)
I feel all nostalgic
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

mandarthite wrote:Hello Nikki,

Hope you still there. I need your kind help. I am working on a project which replaces conventional user i/p devices like mice with some handsfree device. For that I need source code of the 3D Pong game designed by you, since it will take too long for me to design altogether new game using OGRE. Your game can be very good testing platform. If plagiarism is source of your worry, then let me assure you that your name will be cited wherever your code is used and any changes made in your part of code will be made open source. Hope you will consider. Thanks.

-Mandar

-
Wow, nice to see someone still interested in my Pong game. :D

Unfortunately, I think I've lost the source. :( It might be somewhere in my external hardrives though, they're always filled with loads of random stuff, I'll try to dig it out for you.

Best of luck with your project!
mandarthite
Gnoblar

Post by mandarthite »

nikki wrote:

-Mandar

-

Unfortunately, I think I've lost the source. :( It might be somewhere in my external hardrives though, they're always filled with loads of random stuff, I'll try to dig it out for you.

Hi,
Thanks Nikki. :D I hope you will take out some time to find that source code. Awaiting your reply. Thanks again.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

mandarthite wrote:
nikki wrote:

-Mandar

-

Hi,
Thanks Nikki. :D I hope you will take out some time to find that source code. Awaiting your reply. Thanks again.
Ok, I'm gonna look for it tomorrow, but if I don't find it, don't lose hope, there are many Ogre demos/games lying around you can use. You could also very easily write your own little one, Ogre's really easy.