MeshTree Studio

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
vojtek87
Gnoblar

MeshTree Studio

Post by vojtek87 »

After a lot of wasted time I can finally release it. Sorry for this delay, but I just have started my studies (Computer Science btw) and they are much more important than my hobby project.

This is based on MeshTree Project by Sputnick, and is continuation of my MeshTree Editor project (released before in Artist & Content Creators forum). You can generate unlimited types of trees just by editing various parameters and clicking Generate. Some features are not developed yet (for example LOD, I decided to wait for Billboard Clouds SoC project). Any kind of feedback would be appreciated, especially testing and posting your own .mtd files.

Default & defined material names are: BarkTextMat and LeafTextMat.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to generate tangents for tree meshes, so per-pixel lighting has to wait for better times ;)

Screenshot:

Package, containing source code (or should I say, mess code ;)):
link
Additional download location

BTW This is my first WinForms app ever (C++/CLI).

Please comment.
I hope you will enjoy it!
Last edited by vojtek87 on Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander
Gremlin

Post by Alexander »

Congrats on the new release. I am downloading the package now. :wink:

I wanted to ask how exactly you were intending on implementing the billboard cloud project into Mesh Tree Studio.
vojtek87
Gnoblar

Post by vojtek87 »

No idea yet ;) I intend to get involved later, when I have some free time for this.
Wretched_Wyx
Orc

Post by Wretched_Wyx »

This is really cool! Great job on this. My only suggestion so far, is a little bit more camera control... Perhaps hold down middle mouse button to rotate, and scroll it to zoom in/out. Right mouse to pan.

Again, this is great. Keep up the good work.
Virion
Halfling

Post by Virion »

erm i am a newbie and i dont know how to apply both the 2 textures together onto the tree mesh that generated from the editor?

my code:

Code: Select all

Entity* ent1 = mSceneMgr->createEntity("Robot","tree.mesh");
		ent1->setMaterialName("LeafTextMat");
and the result:

the bark become leaves...
Virion
Halfling

Post by Virion »

or it doesnt need any setMaterialName?
vojtek87
Gnoblar

Post by vojtek87 »

It doesn't need that ;) You can set material names in MTS. But if you want to do it manually in code, assign materials to subentities. Because this:

Code: Select all

ent1->setMaterialName("LeafTextMat");
assigns one material to the whole entity.

// edit: btw, why do you need tree with this kind of detail?
Virion
Halfling

Post by Virion »

btw, why do you need tree with this kind of detail?
just for testing :lol:
because the editor looks cool 8)
yuriythebest
Orc

Post by yuriythebest »

very nice- the variations of trees achievable by changing leave, branch numbers is awsome. Any chance of a 3ds/obj exporter?
asteroidWars - an OGRE game
NOOB MAKE MMORPG- the flash movie
yuriythebest
Orc

Post by yuriythebest »

heh, you left the part out about it being a swell bush generator as well :wink:

asteroidWars - an OGRE game
NOOB MAKE MMORPG- the flash movie
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

That's some hairy bush you've made there! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

That is the bushiest bush i've ever seen.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Nice work. If you play with the settings you can get low poly trees that look pretty good (under 3000 polys) using large leaf sizes and different leaf textures, less branches, etc.

I'd suggest having better camera controls. I also noticed that some of the branches do not connect properly at the 2nd and 3rd levels to the branches before it.

The GPL license is a bit limiting - what are the chances of it being LGPL instead? I'd like to be able to port it to wxWidgets and include it as a plugin into my own editor and adding a bunch of features. Features that come to mind are the ability to have multiple leaf definitions and randomly choose between them to have varying leaves. Potentially generate billboard leaves similar to SpeedTree. Export to .obj format. Optionally allow the user to choose to not export certain levels of branches while still generating the leaves for those levels. Possibly look into fake poly branches similar to SpeedTree's "fronds". These are things I'd look into adding, but if not, are good suggestions for the MeshTree Studio you've created.

The license will prohibit me from doing this, unfortunately. I could modify your WinForms code but prefer to use a lot of the code from my own project, such as camera management. Alternatively I may have to go straight to Sputnik and ask whether his code can be LGPL and redo all the great work you've done here.

So anyhow, it does look great, and nice work!
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Does have billboard leaves give you something better than just using a cross rect mesh? Seems like the cross version would be better anyway, to keep the leaves from unnaturally following you.
vojtek87
Gnoblar

Post by vojtek87 »

Falagard: Sputnick released MeshTree under GPL, and as far I'm concerned, I had to do the same. If MeshTree's license had been less limiting, I would have released it under less restrictive license. But, I'm not that much into law-things.

Anyway, thank you all very much for comments!

Preator: Billboarded leaves allow you to use smaller number of "leaves" getting even better results (of course not in all cases). I modified once MeshTree to do that.
BigHands
Halfling

Post by BigHands »

I love the tool, but about half of the meshes I create cause a crash when Ogre shuts down in Direct3D mode. The crash has to do with freeing the mesh vertex buffers... Any ideas?
Last edited by BigHands on Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Sputnick released MeshTree under GPL, and as far I'm concerned, I had to do the same.
Yup, in that case you have no choice. Perhaps I'll contact Sputnick and see if he's willing to release it under LGPL instead. I have no problem with a standalone editor like this being GPL usually, so perhaps I'll see about just pulling out some code from my editor for the pieces where necessary, it would just be more convenient to be able to include it directly as a tool plugin instead of pulling parts of my existing code out and putting it into something else.
Does have billboard leaves give you something better than just using a cross rect mesh? Seems like the cross version would be better anyway, to keep the leaves from unnaturally following you.
One word: SpeedTree.
Paulov
Greenskin

Post by Paulov »

Hi

congrats for this tree editor, I think nice low-poly tree editors are one of the less available tools out there.

some coments:

I agree that camera movements should be improved.

By default the generated trees ar quite high-poly, I find easy to reduce the polycount generated by leaves, playing with their scale etc, but the polycount generated by the branches is hard to reduce, I think. Would be nice if there was an option that could make the branches be just planar, instead of so much detailed meshes.

I also realised that it is an scelent bush generator.. great!

For very dense trees or bushes the tree "structure" (branches etc) may not be necesary because it would be covered by the leaf density, in this cases would be nice to have a "virtual estructure" so that we can just export the leaves, saving some polys.

3ds exporter would be very nice, since some of us create content foor ogre via max using oFusion, and would prefer to have everything done inside max.

very nice interface :wink:

would be nice to see this tool evolutionate::

Pablo
Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

First of all, congrats for your editor.

I confirm that I will change the license to LGPL + BSD and include them in the next release. BTW, I'm not that familiar with open source licensing.

Finally, SpannerMan and I are also working on our editor for the MeshTree parameters based on a CEGUI interface. It's starting to look quite nice. We should be able to release a preversion pretty soon.
The editor is also helping me to correct a few bugs with some parameters in the MeshTree code. I'm looking forward to showing you the results. :)
A few more parameters will also be available. :wink:

- Sput
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Hi Sputnick! :)

WooHoo! Maybe I can still get the meshtree of my dreams for Christmas? ->
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=#51172 :P

Awesome that you finally managed to get some Ogre time! :D
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
vojtek87
Gnoblar

Post by vojtek87 »

Sputnick: that's absolutely great! I just can't wait ;)
Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

jacmoe wrote:WooHoo! Maybe I can still get the meshtree of my dreams for Christmas? ->
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=#51172 :P
:lol: :wink:
It was indeed very hard to save some time for Ogre this year. I hope that 2007 will be more quite.

- Sput
kneeride
Bugbear

Post by kneeride »

ah, i finally found this thread!! (I've been using the old editor vojtek87
wrote in june)

looks good vojtek87.

- all the shadow modes apart from texture modulative crashed on my machine. not sure if it is just me (i install a new graphics card recently)
- any change to get some better camera control? ie a right click and rotate/zoom

EDIT: oh yes, would it be possible to increment the seed on each generate click? It would be good to click through the seeds quickly.
vojtek87
Gnoblar

Post by vojtek87 »

kneeride:
- what do you mean by "crashed"? I've no idea what's wrong with them, did you launch Shadows Demo?
- I'm sorry to say that, but this project is no longer continued, at least now. Sorry, a lot of work, I hope you understand.
- If you want "fully" (time-dependent) random tree, set seed to -1.

Merry Christmas!

// edit: Wow! This project is on wiki along with the most fameous OGRE Tools, maybe I should continue it... :]
Happy new year everybody!
noFreak
Gnoblar

Post by noFreak »

Hi @all,
do anybody know how i can disable the exporter to use "shared vertex"?