[SOLVED] debug build still linking, pagefile to 5.8GB rising

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
Arcanor
Halfling

[SOLVED] debug build still linking, pagefile to 5.8GB rising

Post by Arcanor »

Is it normal for my windows pagefile to grow to nearly 6gb (so far) during linking of the debug build?

I'm doing this build for the first time, using VC++ 8.0 express, and I'm pretty sure I've put the development environment together properly.
Last edited by Arcanor on Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcanor
Halfling

failed

Post by Arcanor »

LINK : fatal error LNK1000: unknown error at 0047D36B; consult documentation for technical support options

Hmm, this doesn't look good. Time to go diving into the docs to see if I can find out what that means.
hmoraldo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by hmoraldo »

This is probably a bad VC or sdk setup, or a corrupt download of ogre & dependencies.
H. Hernan Moraldo
Personal website
Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

I was afraid that might be the problem. I've already tried cleaning and rebuilding to no avail. Those installs took forever, now I'll have to do them again.

Thanks hmoraldo.

Anyone else have any insights before I tear it all out and begin again, wasting several hours of time?
Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

One other interesting tidbit is that this only occurs during the Debug build. I can compile and run the Release build without a problem.

Hmm, maybe this isn't going to require a total reinstall? It's something only related to the debug build.

I'm also able to debug build another related solution (RakEngine) which includes a different version of Ogre (1.2.2) without any problems.
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Are you trying to static-link Ogre? It *will* blow out the linker in Debug under VC 71 and 80.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

Not that I know of, I just built it right out of the box without touching the project settings.

I'm currently re-installing the ogre source and dependencies. I will update shortly.
Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

No good. Pagefile grew to over 2gb before I killed it again.

Just to be 100% sure, how can I tell if the project is set to statically link?
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Just a small piece of advice. You set your pagefile to a fixed size regardless of building Ogre or not. Sure, it will waste a little extra harddrive space (which is cheap nowadays). But, you wil avoid fragmenting your drive with a growing/shrinking pagefile. Set it to about 1.5x or 2x your real memory size. Hopefully, you real RAM is quite large. Depending on your OS, you should have at least 512 to 1GB of ram ( more if running Vista). Besides that, if you can't get your system to build Ogre, just use the precompiled SDK.
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Also, Ogre is going to take forever to link. I've timed it close to 15 minutes on a P3, usually it's at least 3-4 on my P4 3.0 1GB.

Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

I've already uninstalled/reinstalled VC++ 8.0, and have uninstalled the PSDK in preparation for a reinstall. I'm in the process of downloading all the .cab files to have a local install source just in case I have to do it again.

For reference, I'm running XP Media Center Edition 2002. The hardware includes:

- Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200+
- 2gb of physical RAM
- 200+ gb C: drive which is less than 25% full

I had already set my pagefile to a range of 2046-4092mb, so I'm not sure why it had grown as large as it did. Maybe it was adding in my physical memory and that's why it died just as it hit 6gb (which is 2gb physical + 4gb virtual).
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Well, your computer sounds more than capable. Really, set your pagefile to a static size (4GB sounds fine). However, your pagefile should not even be is use, 2GB of real RAM should be more than suffucient. Sounds to me like Media Cetner OS is not a good OS if it can't handle compiling Ogre (I have never used Media Center). I've never had a problem compiling Ogre on Win98, Win2000, or WinXP in terms of memory usage. And, I have had various RAM sizes (from 512, 768, 1GB).
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

After thinking it over I agree about setting the pagefile to 4gb permanently. I don't think it makes sense to worry about 2gb either way. I'm sure I'll be moving things to another drive well before I run out of space, if that ever happens. Thanks for the advice pjcast.

As for Media Center, I hope that's not the problem because I'm stuck with it. I don't believe it is though, since I can build several other ogre-related projects in both release and debug config without hardly blinking. I think it's got to be some sort of corrupted installation or config. Reinstalling everything will tell for sure, so that's what I'm doing, step by step.

I'll keep you posted.
Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

Okay, problem solved! But there's a remaining question as to why this was needed to do.

The fix was: I turned off incremental linking in the OgreMain project. The project linked in seconds after that, and I have a new shiny OgreMain_d.dll. Woohoo!

I need to ask - is turning off incremental linking a danger in any way?

Thanks everyone for your help. :)
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

Arcanor wrote: I need to ask - is turning off incremental linking a danger in any way?
No.

Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

Thanks stewie, errr xavier. :) You've eased my mind.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

If turning off incremental linking worked, it suggests the incremental link file was corrupt. This can very occasionally happen, you should upgrade to SP1 which fixes at least one problem in this area. Being incremental, if the link file is corrupt it will stay corrupt unless you get rid of it.

So, a clean build or deleting the incremental link file (.ilk) to force a full link might have worked too.
Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

I did actually try a total rebuild, and I'm quite sure the .ilk file was removed before starting the build. It didn't help. I watched the output folder as the .ilk file grew in stages to 2mb, then 4mb, 8mb, 16mb, 32mb, 64mb, then back to 0 and starting the cycle over again... infinitely, with my virtual mem usage going up a notch every time.
Arcanor
Halfling

Post by Arcanor »

And one other bit of info: I had already updated to SP1 of the VC++ express 2005 IDE as part of the install process yesterday morning.