Body For The Ogre Head

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
DragonSnail
Kobold

Body For The Ogre Head

Post by DragonSnail »

After my BF promised me enough sushi and chocolate I gave in and started making a body for the ogre head. :wink:

Im not a very experienced modeler and so far I have only worked with low poly models, but if there is enough interest in this I might be persuaded to do a high poly out of him in the end. This is what the model looks like so far - with the imported, unchanged ogre head mesh:

And here is the 3D plan:

Please let me know if there are any glaring errors, so I can improve the mesh, and if there is interest in me finishing this project (texturing, animating etc) or if I am wasting my time! ;)

The DragonSnail
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I'd love to see this body Ogre'd! :)

Critique: While I think Ogre has a round body most probably, I think a light bulb shaped one would be to go too far..

I chose Ogre because it's potent and feature rich, without being bloated.
Strong and big, definately. But bloated? Nah..

But, never mind.
I tried rolling my own Ogre body once, and I made it all too skinny and human like - I like yours better. :wink:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

Such a charasteristic head deserves a charasteristic body! Im afraid that if I where to make him any more realistic it will only look ridiculous, since the head is so cartoony. Besides, the pearshape of the head encourages a pearshaped body, so I believe they fit each other. And Ogre IS fun to work with - no one will be able to look at this guy without cracking a smile! He will let everyone know that people here have a sense of humor. :D

Well, seriously... rather that than a war-ogre, no? :wink:

The DragonSnail
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

$.02...

While I agree that the body should be pear-shaped, I think it's too exaggerated... (The drawing looks right, but the model looks bloated... Even though I know they are the same intellectually.)

Just my opinion :)

Edit: Looking again, I wonder if it's not actually the feet that are making the difference? The ones in the drawing are larger, and more defined.
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

Who ate all the pi's ? :D

Excellant DragonSnail, I cant wait to see old Ergo transformed from a disembodied head to a full character!

I must agree that since the Ogre head is very cartoony and exaggerated then the body must be so too. Your 3d plan sketch looks spot on to me. Good luck and please continue this to the end!

(By the way, I think there is another post round here where the head has been souped up...maybe use that as a base?)
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

Aladrin wrote:Looking again, I wonder if it's not actually the feet that are making the difference? The ones in the drawing are larger, and more defined.
Oh, the feet are far from ready! But I wanted to see if there was interest in the model before I put too much time in it, so I posted what I have to show at the moment. Anyway, Ill experiment a bit and see if what I come up with, and if perhaps the texture will make it less "bloated". Personally, I love the thought of making his big belly bounce at every step, but thats just me. :wink:
(By the way, I think there is another post round here where the head has been souped up...maybe use that as a base?)
I think I would rather soup it down than up, since Im more comfy with low poly modeling than high poly. But lets see, Im still learning, and some day I guess I have to learn high poly modeling as well. Might as well be now! :P

The DragonSnail
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

I like it so far. We can always take a low-poly model and make normal mapped details for it later, so what you are doing is perfect. I like the sketch, and I think the model is on-target. It really does seem to fit the head.
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

i agree with others about the ogre should look large and round, your drawing looks great, but i agree too that the 3d model looks a bit too big/round.

although thats coming from me who can only do programmer art :P

now that blender 2.43 is out, it has the sculpt mode so you can easily take the low poly model (which is a good base) and add subdivison levels and sculpt on the high poly version. i dont know if you can create a normal map from that yet though
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Something integrated into blender for normal maps is nice, but generating a normal map from a high and low poly version of a model isn't too painful right now. ATI has a free tool, and I'm sure there are other easy methods as well.
Ox41464b
Gnoblar

Post by Ox41464b »

i remember i've seen OgreHead with Body on NVidia or ATI Whitepaper, but... not sure which one...

[edit]
GPU Gems 2 - Ch. 15: Blueprint Rendering and "Sketchy Drawings"
[/edit]
verio
Gnoblar

Post by verio »

In this thread http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28565
you can find links to the original body.
If you dont know already.
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

No, I didnt know there was an original body to the head, but looking at it, my own model isnt far off. Only, mine doesnt have half of the polys the original does... :lol:

Not sure it makes sense for me to continue modeling on this, if the community here will sooner or later buy in the original model, but its still an opportunity for me to learn, so Ill go on for now. I have tried to keep strictly to quads, but Im sure there is a sneaky tri or two at some places, still. Anyway, small update... Im working in more details as I go:

Dont mind those hands, they look like shovels at the moment. It will be my first try to model hands, since earlier I have only done low poly game models and the like with, simply, shovel hands! Currently trying to think up the best way to model them.. or Ill look for a tutorial. :wink:

The DragonSnail
verio
Gnoblar

Post by verio »

I think you must go on!
Your model is not so bad...
And it's a good way to learn.
Ajare
Goblin

Post by Ajare »

DragonSnail wrote:Not sure it makes sense for me to continue modeling on this, if the community here will sooner or later buy in the original model, but its still an opportunity for me to learn, so Ill go on for now.
There's always been lots of talk about this, and very little action, so I think you're safe to continue. :wink:

Anyway, it's looking good - my only concern is the hips. I don't think they will deform well when animated. It will look like he's waddling.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Ajare wrote: There's always been lots of talk about this, and very little action, so I think you're safe to continue. :wink:

Anyway, it's looking good - my only concern is the hips. I don't think they will deform well when animated. It will look like he's waddling.
Yeah, I think it's probably pretty safe to assume we're not gonna ante up for the original model. Personally, I don't like the original... I think this, and the one in the other thread, are both much better.

As for the waddle... Yeah, he's large enough that he needs a waddle. Ogre's aren't real concerned with how pretty they look, or if someone thinks they walk funny. ;)
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

Sorry for the lack of updates - those hands really eluded me, and I think its safe to assume I will need to fine-tune them a lot more. But for now, I started texturing, just to see what he will be like. Keep in mind, this is just the start... by no means will the seems be that ugly! :wink:

So, even if theres lots of stuff left to do, I figured a little update couldn't hurt, just so you know I haven't abandoned the project! :D

Currently I'm busy making quads of the tris in the ogre head, and thats as boring a job as I have ever had. Only the ears left now! >_<

The DragonSnail
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by CaseyB »

:shock: Wow! That's awesome!! GREAT work!
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

Wow, it looks really nice, I like it! Except, the stomache looks so HUGE! :shock: lol. Great job so far, I could use a fatty ogre somewhere.. haha.

KungFooMasta
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Aye, thanks for the update! It's nice to see it didn't get forgotten. It's coming along very well!
Nauk
Gnoll

Post by Nauk »

makes me want to fetch the nail-clipper :)
DragonSnail
Kobold

Post by DragonSnail »

Another small update, texturing the head. :)

jjp
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by jjp »

DragonSnail wrote:Currently I'm busy making quads of the tris in the ogre head
Just out of curiosity: why? Especially for realtime graphics I don't see a point for keeping everything in quads.
Enough is never enough.
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Modelling issues. As far as I know it's better to avoid triangles when modelling (and my experience reinforces that too). The exporter will then convert them to tris so there's no problem :)
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by CaseyB »

@DragonSnail
HOLY CRAP! That looks AMAZING! The only thing I notice (something that bothers me with the current Ogre head) is the gap in the mouth. Would you please close that up? I have tried a few times, but can't make it look right, but you are, obviously, mush better than I am! :D
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Wow! Holy Wow! :)

Splendid work you're doing here! :D

I like him, I really do! Please, keep it up! 8)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.