initialise or initialize?

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
shanefarris
Greenskin

initialise or initialize?

Post by shanefarris »

I am a bad speller, but when you call root->initialise(), shouldn't it be spelled initialize?
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: initialise or initialize?

Post by xavier »

Not when the author of the library is British.
Do you need help? What have you tried?

Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly.
shanefarris
Greenskin

Post by shanefarris »

Interesting :)
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

I'm a USA guy but I spell some things the English way, such as colour, armour, etc. Others, I spell the "American" way, such as mom. I never understood why some kids called their mothers "mummy" :lol:
DanielSefton
Ogre Magi

Post by DanielSefton »

nullsquared wrote:Others, I spell the "American" way, such as mom. I never understood why some kids called their mothers "mummy" :lol:
...and 'mum', and 'mother' :P

INITIALISE.

Yeah, in general, American spellings end in ize, and English in ise.

But we all know the English spelling is superior. :wink:

Ogre uses English spellings - so naturally, anything using Ogre should use the same conventions. 8)
Klaim
Old One

Post by Klaim »

I'm french and I find it strange to choose between english UK and english US in some localised softwares like Firefox, Chrome, etc. XD
Roman
Halfling

Post by Roman »

Therefore typedefs were developed. :lol: Okay, not for function names.

I'm trying to write British English (as far as I can), generally and in source codes. So Ogre is nice for this idealism.
Software or projects should written consistent and not mixed.

Nevertheless, both are fine. :D
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

It's nice the British spelling is kept alive. Me, I don't have a problem using it in an API.

By the way I am a little surprised I haven't seen the word 'please' in the Ogre3D API yet... I visited London, UK, and I was told by a friend that I sound blunt if I don't say it. Perhaps Sinbad will start adding 'please' to the function names.

pleaseGetRenderSystem

pleaseCreateRenderWindow

et cetera :lol:
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

reptor wrote:pleaseGetRenderSystem
Remember your Please and Thankyous;

Code: Select all

mRoot->ISayOldChapWouldYouPleaseFetchMeTheRenderSystemThankYouVeryMuchIndeedy()
Or as it is today in Modern Britain with the "undesirables";

mRoot->OIGetMeTheF__KINGRenderSystemNOW()
:D
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

In Ruby you can end method names with ! or ?.
So you can effectively shout methods (in case you don't want to be polite to the compiler) or ask questions. It's a bit odd to see in code at first.

lolcode starts with HAI and ends with KTHXBYE, so it's a pretty polite language already.

Anyway...YAY for the U in colour!
nbeato
Gnome

Post by nbeato »

reptor wrote:It's nice the British spelling is kept alive. Me, I don't have a problem using it in an API.

By the way I am a little surprised I haven't seen the word 'please' in the Ogre3D API yet... I visited London, UK, and I was told by a friend that I sound blunt if I don't say it. Perhaps Sinbad will start adding 'please' to the function names.

pleaseGetRenderSystem

pleaseCreateRenderWindow

haha. I'm sold!
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

Kojack wrote:In Ruby you can end method names with ! or ?.
So you can effectively shout methods (in case you don't want to be polite to the compiler) or ask questions. It's a bit odd to see in code at first.
I've been coding in Ruby for the last week, and I was surprised to find that being allowed. At first I thought it was a modifier such as const or static, but now use them with everything - it's awesome.

def Root

def GetMeTheF__KINGRenderSystem!
     @render_system
  end

def ISayOldChapIsRootInitialisedYet?
     @initialised
  end

end
Genius.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

betajaen wrote:

def ISayOldChapIsRootInitialisedYet?
     @initialised
  end
Genius indeed. I love it.
Game Development, Engine Development, Porting
http://www.darkwindmedia.com
Kaze Youkai
Greenskin

Post by Kaze Youkai »

Wait....
There are people who -actually- develop in LOLCODE?
Fulmens
Gremlin

Post by Fulmens »

At least once :lol: :

http://99-bottles-of-beer.net/language- ... -1544.html
(this is ending in off topic and i'm participating...)
Goilveig
Kobold

Post by Goilveig »

nullsquared wrote:I'm a USA guy but I spell some things the English way, such as colour, armour, etc.
The funny thing is the reason behind those spellings. In Latin, it was spelled 'color', just as in modern Spanish or US English. In old French, it was colur, with the u sounding like the oo in pool. So the British decided to make the spelling "colour" so that they'd keep the -oo- sound of the old French... and then they promptly dropped the sound and pronounced it like "color" anyway.

Don't even get me STARTED on how bad our pronunciation of Latin and Greek names has become... the German "Kaiser" is far closer to the actual pronunciation of Caesar's last name than anything you'll find in English. Somewhere along the line, the English decided to let the 'C' make an 'S' sound sometimes (and then imported the 'K' from Greek to take over what the 'C' used to be doing).
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

The problem is that some libraries are from USA-guys while others are from British-guys. So I keep writing 'normalise' in my Cg or Bullet code.

Why can't you English language people decide on anything? :?

BTW, COBOL quadratic formula:-

MULTIPLY B BY B GIVING B-SQUARED.  
MULTIPLY 4 BY A GIVING FOUR-A.  
MULTIPLY FOUR-A BY C GIVING FOUR-A-C.  
SUBTRACT FOUR-A-C FROM B-SQUARED GIVING RESULT-1.  
COMPUTE RESULT-2 = RESULT-1 ** .5.
SUBTRACT B FROM RESULT-2 GIVING NUMERATOR.
MULTIPLY 2 BY A GIVING DENOMINATOR.
DIVIDE NUMERATOR BY DENOMINATOR GIVING X.
(only one of the roots though)
betajaen
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by betajaen »

nikki wrote:Why can't you English language people decide on anything?
But isn't that true of most languages?

In Wales; although we are a pretty small country. There are differences in pronunciation and even spelling of several Welsh words; Dach chi isio panad/Dych chi moyn dishgled? (Do you want a cup of tea in North and South dialects of Welsh).

Although I'm sure danharibo can explain it better. You see where I live; You get strange looks for speaking Welsh out loud. :D
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

betajaen wrote:
nikki wrote:Why can't you English language people decide on anything?
But isn't that true of most languages?

In Wales; although we are a pretty small country. There are differences in pronunciation and even spelling of several Welsh words; Dach chi isio panad/Dych chi moyn dishgled? (Do you want a cup of tea in North and South dialects of Welsh).

Although I'm sure danharibo can explain it better. You see where I live; You get strange looks for speaking Welsh out loud. :D
Are there any Welsh APIs? That would be fun. :D
reptor
Ogre Magi

Post by reptor »

Well, yeah...

I started going to the elementary school in the mid-80's here in Finland. My native language is Finnish and that's what I was taught as my first language.

All that I was told about my language in school is not how it is today. They've changed some things!

One example is how in certain words two consecutive t's were supposed to be a single d. This makes sense to me, but it is not what the recommendation is today. So the newspapers, TV, etc., they spell those certain words differently than I do, if they follow the current official recommendation.

And I think the recommendation change regarding that is rather stupid. I noticed that many people from a certain part of the country speak like the current recommendation is today and I guess that's why the recommendation was changed, to make it match how they speak. It sounds more like a dialect to me but hey if that's what they want to use as the official language then I guess they can go for it...

It's worse, as far as I am concerned, and I will keep writing like I was taught to do, not because I was taught it like that, but because I think how I was taught to do it is more sensible, I actually speak also the same. I feel like as a nation we de-evolved into writing a dialect form of the words instead of the 'proper' form of the words. But it's just my opinion and subjective. Perhaps the kids of today think I am archaic when I write such "non-standard" versions of certain words.

But both versions of the words are well-understood by everyone so it isn't really a show-stopping bug :)

And the language has changed quite a lot in a few hundred years... so my complaint might be stupid and I might just be resisting because I don't speak like those other people do where they decided to change the official recommendation. I still can't help it, everytime I hear it it sounds wrong and more like what you would hear as a 'slang' and not as an official language. But this is probably normal in the evolution of languages.

In fact, people who have gone through our equivalent of "high school", where they teach the language things in great detail compared to the elementary school, thought I was wrong when I told them that the official recommendation regarding the writing of the certain words has changed. So I am not sure if the educational institutes have a common agreement on how to teach it - perhaps some language teachers are also resisting the official form and refuse to use it in classrooms.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

perhaps some language teachers are also resisting the official form and refuse to use it in classrooms.
A bit like how I refuse to use the new iso standards for computer units. It's a mega byte damn it! Not a @#$%ing mebi byte!

:)
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

But both versions of the words are well-understood by everyone so it isn't really a show-stopping bug :)
Same here in Germany. We had the so called "Rechtschreibreform" (spelling reform) some years ago, resulting in the fact that various words can be written in several ways (similiar to initialize vs intialise), others got replaced, e.g. we used to have the character "ß" which is now replaced by "ss", but everyone would understand both...
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

We still have ß, the new rules only streamline usage of ß and ss. I remember I had problems with the old rules in this regard, but new ones are crystal clear. Other spelling changes are of varying quality imho. ;)
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte

This is lame. 'Megabyte' sounds so... hip... 'Mebibyte' is stupid.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

reptor wrote:It's nice the British spelling is kept alive. Me, I don't have a problem using it in an API.

pleaseGetRenderSystem

pleaseCreateRenderWindow

Well then, just rewrite Ogre using INTERCAL
INTERCAL has many other features designed to make it even more aesthetically unpleasing to the programmer: it uses statements such as "READ OUT", "IGNORE", "FORGET", and modifiers such as "PLEASE". This last keyword provides two reasons for the program's rejection by the compiler: if "PLEASE" does not appear often enough, the program is considered insufficiently polite, and the error message says this; if too often, the program could be rejected as excessively polite. Although this feature existed in the original INTERCAL compiler, it was undocumented.[5]
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.