all2ogre - win32 binary available

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
white tiger
Kobold

all2ogre - win32 binary available

Post by white tiger »

i have written a program in c++ that load a mesh using irrlicht and output an Ogre XML mesh. Seriously :D

There are lots of exporters and utility to directly convert one format to ogre so... why reinventing the wheel (and read directly from each of the file format you want to support) if there is a library capable of load this file formats for you?

Sure you can use other tools, like Milkshape, 3ds max, deled, to export to ogre, but mine is free :D Also you don't need to install modellers if you are only a programmer. Last but not the least, today i have lots of spare time because it's raining (LOL) :D

Here are the file formats supported by irrlicht: http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/feature ... tedformats

This exports indices,vertices, texture coordinates, vertex normals, and materials (in a separated .material script). It supports mesh with multiple mesh buffers (multiple sub-meshes in ogre speaking :wink:). Currently it doesn't export animations (irrlicht supports morph animation and also skeletal animation in the last release (only for ms3d,b3d and x)

Compile (you need irrlicht SDK) and pass the mesh to the program as first parameter. Pass the outputed xml file to ogrexmlconverter and you have done.

Download win32 binary:

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/aresfp ... g_mirror=0

EDIT: source removed from here
Last edited by white tiger on Sat May 10, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
nikki
Old One

Post by nikki »

Nice!

I voted you as crazy, but don't worry. That's a good thing. :)
Daerst
Kobold

Post by Daerst »

Voted yes, but I would have voted a lot if you provided a binary release because I'm too lazy to compile it :D

But anyway, I like the idea :D
dedesite
Halfling

Post by dedesite »

I voted Yes, because I think everyone is a bit crazy :p.

But, you've got a great idea and it'll help a lot of programmers without graphical experience ;).

++
itien
Halfling

Post by itien »

I voted "a little", since I agree with
Evanescence wrote:It's true, we're all a bit insane
On a serious note, that should be a very useful addon for those programmers who find themselves in a desperate need to test a new mesh, but due to a lack of access to the main pipeline (and quite likely not having this particular piece of software on their machine (apart from Blender of course, which you can install unlimited copies of)).
But I agree with Daerst, please give us a binary to play around, since it would take a while before everyone would compile (getting Irrlicht sources, this 'n' that...)
white tiger
Kobold

Post by white tiger »

thanks you all for voting :D

ok. i fixed two bugs (one in material and one in animated models). now it can exports animated models as static meshes (first frame only). can't export animations currently

in the win32 binary release there is the mesh viewer from irrlicht sdk and a sample directx model for testing. choose to download all2ogre of course

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=514974

here are a screen shot of a md2 models i have converted with my little-tool. directly from my favourite telefilm just for you :D Can i have a Duff, please? :D

P.S. sorry to miss the correct forum :wink:

Last edited by white tiger on Sat May 10, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

Here you go:

Btw., great work, this should be an extremly helpful tool, especially for hobby developers, who depend on third party assets.
white tiger
Kobold

Post by white tiger »

where is the poll? there was a poll but i don't found it today. i have edited the main post but i'm sure i didn't delete it. what happened?
SunSailor wrote:Btw., great work, this should be an extremly helpful tool, especially for hobby developers, who depend on third party assets.
i think so. there are people (me included :P) who don't have time to make their own models
Nargil
Greenskin

Re: all2ogre - win32 binary available

Post by Nargil »

Could somebody (maybe the author himself) reupload the source ?
I can't find it.

It doesn't export texture file names for me ;/

PS. Sorry for the "grave-digging" bump.

____
Edit: Don't need it anymore. Wrote my own: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51770 based on your idea to use irrlicht.
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
boyamer
Orc

Post by boyamer »

Where to download?
Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

You might want to try NOME: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51770
It's based on the same concept, and supports .dds textures.
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver