Ogre Mascot?

A place for Ogre users to discuss non-Ogre subjects with friends from the community.
stoneCold
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: Ogre Mascot?

Post by stoneCold »

Wow, just awesome :shock:
Great job omniter.

I hereby propose that "sinbad" shall be used as easteregg/unlockable character in each and every game that will be done with Ogre3D from now on.
Imagine "sinbad" doing his funky dance in the midst of an ancient battlefield, that would just be hilarious :D

(I actually liked the ribbon trails in the video, they added too the coolness of your model imo)
my tweets | www.fuse-software.com | home of vektrix (Flash GUI for Ogre3D) and caspin (ActionScript 3 Virtual Machine Wrapper)
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Gene would rather nobody knew about that... :o
madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx »

Excellent. And very funny :D .
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0
buckED
Greenskin

Post by buckED »

Seriously omniter, that's just insanely good =)
Can't wait to see more of this. You really got some talent for that kind of stuff.
Looking forward to news on how this comes along... so keep us posted
Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

~ Thomas Edison ~
haffax
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by haffax »

Really looks very good! I especially like the facial expressions that come with jumping and dancing. This char and your new sample frame work are such a boon for showing off Ogre's features. The quality of the animations is awesome, they are just to the point right and this already shows just from watching the video. This is so hard to get done properly.

About the ribbon trails: They don't really add much to what you see else already, they should at least be disabled when the weapons aren't drawn. If anything they are useful for users to learn from code about how to use them, make them optional, but leave the code in. :)
team-pantheon programmer
creators of Rastullahs Lockenpracht
merlinblack
Goblin

Post by merlinblack »

I love it! :D About the ribbon trails, perhaps if they only appeared when he's swinging his swords? I just a had a funny thought for what I call 'super-idle', i.e. something a character might do if idle for a long time, - like Commander Keen sitting down and reading a book. Anyhow, my idea was juggling skulls (or small original ogre heads). Perhaps difficult to add without adding more complexity to him. (A few bones to attach the skulls to I guess.) Anyhow just thought you might like the idea. :D
"He'd never realized that, deep down inside, what he really wanted to do was make things go splat."
Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Alrighty, guys. That's it. :D I made the trails only visible when swords are drawn, added instructions to the sample, fully commented the code, and fixed a couple of weird bugs. I wasn't planning to make a sample originally, but I decided that a sample would be better than a tutorial. I have commited everything to the branch, and hopefully it will be integrated soon. I will not be making any more changes to the model from here on. This has been long overdue, and I've got lots of other projects to work on. Hope everyone understands. This is my gift to you all, the OGRE community. It's basically free, in simple terms, but for full details, check out the README.txt in Samples/Media/packs/Sinbad.zip. Thanks for all your support, guys! I leave you with another collage. I love making these. :D

spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

omniter wrote:Hope everyone understands.
Of course, you have already done more and better, than I'd ever expected. The whole new SampleFramework and the sinbad model really help to show what Ogre is capable of. Thank you very much again!
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Dude, I can't express how amazing this is. The sample is fantastic! I'm totally blown away by how you manage to be so talented at both coding and art.

This is going on the front page :)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

And you know what? I so want a plushie of this guy now. :D
Tup4c
Gnoblar

Post by Tup4c »

Really nice work (coding & art) all my respect for this ;)
_tommo_
Gnoll

Post by _tommo_ »

I think i have to use this as a boss in my game it's too awesome to not use it somewhere :D
OverMindGames Blog
IndieVault.it: Il nuovo portale italiano su Game Dev & Indie Games
Kukanani
Halfling

Post by Kukanani »

Great!
Grammar is the greatest joy in life, don't you find?

--Aunt Josephine in The Wide Window
calsmurf2904
Orc

Post by calsmurf2904 »

So this is released under MIT? :D I feel like making a hack-and-slash now lol :P
Visit my blog at http://calsmurf2904.wordpress.com !
Got a Google Wave account? Add me as contact! (projectxgame <at> gmail <dot> com)
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

I have no idea what license it's "officially" under, but feel free to make a hack-n-slash with it. :)
calsmurf2904
Orc

Post by calsmurf2904 »

Sinbad clearly states free for non-commercial use in front post, so I guess some sort of GPL for models.
Got a Google Wave account? Add me as contact! (projectxgame <at> gmail <dot> com)
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

calsmurf2904 wrote:Sinbad clearly states free for non-commercial use in front post, so I guess some sort of GPL for models.
GPL is not compatible with a for non-commercial use clause, sorry. GPL does not allow any restrictions in freedom.
It's CC non-commercial, if any.

Great work, Omniter! :D
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

I was thinking more like you could use it in a commercial application, but you just can't charge for the model itself (is there a difference? :? ), and you have to include the license information with the model. I'm not a license expert, so I'll leave it up to the admins to find a suitable license type. :lol:
calsmurf2904
Orc

Post by calsmurf2904 »

omniter wrote:I was thinking more like you could use it in a commercial application, but you just can't charge for the model itself (is there a difference? :? ), and you have to include the license information with the model. I'm not a license expert, so I'll leave it up to the admins to find a suitable license type. :lol:
All commercial games ever will have the Ogre mascot then! Imagine, HL2 with as enemy, THE OGRE MASCOT! :P :lol:
soldans
Halfling

Post by soldans »

omniter wrote:I have no idea what license it's "officially" under, but feel free to make a hack-n-slash with it. :)
I think you should decide the license, as you made the model...
Irydion
Kobold

Post by Irydion »

It reminds me a license that I discovered last week : the WTFPL (Do What The Fuck you want to Public License) :lol:
(but it doesn't correspond to Sinbad ;))
Somebody set up us the bomb !
calsmurf2904
Orc

Post by calsmurf2904 »

Irydion wrote:It reminds me a license that I discovered last week : the WTFPL (Do What The Fuck you want to Public License) :lol:
(but it doesn't correspond to Sinbad ;))
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

In that case, Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported sounds good.
Oh and LMAO at the WTFPL.
qubodup
Gnoblar

Post by qubodup »

Hi, I red the news and love the model (the drawing too). [PS: oh, and the pixel art too ^^]
omniter wrote:In that case, Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported sounds good.
If you want to do some open source games a favor (specifically, SuperTuxKart, a free software mascot kart racing game), use the Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported. (Contrary to the Noncommercial one, it is accepted into many Linux distributions' main repositories, Debian being one .)

(I don't want to flood the topic with the unpleasant topic of licensing just like that, tell me if you want me to elaborate on the preference for non-noncommercial licenses. :) )
omniter
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by omniter »

Hey qubondup, if it's an open source game, why would it matter if I use a Non-commercial license? They can use the model.