Top Gunner - game for coin-ops

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
martin_prochazka
Gnoblar

Top Gunner - game for coin-ops

Post by martin_prochazka »

This is many months finished project, but I have uploaded video recently and because it's not publicly available game I though it could be interesting for someone...

We developed Top Gunner for Taiwan-based manufacturer of coin-op machines. The game is rail-shooter controlled with mounted guns and can be played by one or two players. There is just regular PC board running some embedded version of Windows XP so we could use Ogre. It was our first finished project using Ogre.

The "story line" is just terrible. Please don't assume it's our work. We know that biotech dragons don't fit into WW2 setting, but it was requested by our asian client. We had many disputes. The cooperation was enlightening experience in terms of how culturally different are people from west and east...

Gameplay footage on youtube

Martin Prochazka
Hammerware, s.r.o.
follow us: @hammerware
Ogre3D projects: Family Farm, Goodfolks
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Re: Top Gunner - game for coin-ops

Post by chaosavy »

great work! looks like a lot of fun
Visit http://www.VoidDestroyer.com to check out my space sim project - Void Destroyer
steven
Gnoll

Post by steven »

Very good. Good work!

I love the big gun coming out of the carrier :D
PolyVox
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by PolyVox »

Great! I watched the whoole thing because I wanted to see the flying biotech dragon :-) But really, it looks like a nice game you've got there.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

That acutally looks like a lot of fun. Well done!

Two questions:
  • Is the player also steering the plane or can he/she fully concentrate on the gun?
  • Can the player hit its on plane (w.g. the wings)?
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

Just an assumption, but as it is a rail-shooter, I'd guess no. At least that's the norm on most games of this type. And I doubt you can shoot your own wings, as those game are more about fun than about realism ;). Especially with biotech dragons, although they are a pretty funny idea. If not set into WWII...
Online-Distribution with Jade-DS, Ogre-Wrapper included.
Follow me on Twitter for updates!
chaosavy
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by chaosavy »

in their defense records from that time are spotty at best
Visit http://www.VoidDestroyer.com to check out my space sim project - Void Destroyer
martin_prochazka
Gnoblar

Thanx for positive replies. It's not Time Crisis, but people in target markets (Asia, South America, etc.) hopefully enjoy it.

No, you can't steer the plane. We have scenes with precreated static curves. The same is for enemies. We have tried dynamic approach to enemies, but there were problems with timing. In this genre it's better to have it prepared for every second.

And no, You can't shoot your own plane. We have also need to move turrets off real position as they seem to be and rotate them around center axis, because of having to support two players on one screen.
Martin Prochazka
Hammerware, s.r.o.
Slappy
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slappy »

I know this game for a long time, Martin mentioned it on some game developer session maybe a year ago...
But is it based on Ogre3D??
I supposed it is based on Air Conflict or some fly-with-planes-game I head a long times ago - was it hard to port it to this coin machine?
What technology is behind it? (Opengl/DirectX ), was it difficult to port it to that machine or it is some type of PC in that ...
Tell us more, btw great job :)

Who does not know what that "machine" means check this: http://www.bmigaming.com/games-catalog-injoy-motion.htm at the very bottom
Cool looking Graphical Installers in NSIS and Inno Setup: http://www.graphical-installer.com - FREE for Ogre projects
I offer NSIS/Inno Setup scripting, C/C++/C#/Delphi programming: http://www.unsigned.sk
Develop NSIS/Inno Setup projects directly in Visual Studio 2005-2015: http://www.visual-installer.com/
or RAD Studio 2009-XE8: http://www.rad-installer.com/
martin_prochazka
Gnoblar

Yeah, initial plan was to use game engine of our developer friend 3Dvision with simple Direct3D engine. But at that time (2008) Ogre started to have ecosystem of tools, is feature-rich, etc.

As I said we had regular PC configuration with GeForce videocard as target. We have delivered the game controlled with mouse and they then added support for mounted guns. From what I have seen, they used some shared memory library to read state of hardware. The memory region was probably updated by device driver of the controller. If you would like to build a coin-op nowdays it's quite simple, there are eshops where you can buy every component (various designs) and just put it with some PC together.

This project was finished with a little loss, because direction of the game was changed severaly. It meant to be for different type of machine at the start and also Asian people like to copy other games, so we were always told "Look at this, we want it to have such feature in the game!" The good point is that we are not longer afraid of competition and cheap labour from this area ;)
Martin Prochazka
Hammerware, s.r.o.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

Nice work! :D

What year does this take place in? If I remember correctly, biotech dragons weren't developed until around '43.
martin_prochazka
Gnoblar

Yeah, that's correct. Marketing put it into '44:
In the year 1944, days before the German troops were numbered, the Allied intelligence reports revealed that the German troops were reluctant to surrender because they held a very secret weapon. To confirm the above intelligence, we, as he assigned "task force", sneaked into the heart of Germany, and were ambushed, resulting in just one airplane and carrier that survived the ambush - Could our secret task force break the siege and win?
I have told them at least not to put "German" there ;)
Martin Prochazka
Hammerware, s.r.o.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Rocket powered biotech dragons capable of sub orbital flight didn't start hitting England till 1943, but there were small, jet driven, platform launched biotech dragons around before that.

The youtube clip is great, looks a lot of fun. I had hoped the dragon's head would explode when you killed him, and personally I like a few swasticas in my WWII alternate history fantasy games, but still, neat game. Looks pretty exciting. :)
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

According to a recent History channel documentary, it is a source of active debate as to when biotech dragon technology was first launched. There were considerable failures with the earlier biotech gecko prototypes. Their tail-mounted jets malfunctioned each time the lizards' tails fell off, baffling Nazi scientists throughout most of '42.

The rocket-propelled flying squirrel incident also pushed back development by several months, at least.
martin_prochazka
Gnoblar

German engineers picked wrong type of energy source. Attached plans for initial protype show they used blue ion power, which is not so stable as red energy.

(In fact this is a real concept send to us. We did not quite follow it.)
Martin Prochazka
Hammerware, s.r.o.
koirat
Orc

Post by koirat »

Is this the gun on It's chest ?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
martin_prochazka
Gnoblar

Two guns!
Martin Prochazka
Hammerware, s.r.o.
fayt
Gnoblar

Post by fayt »

Very nice, great job, looks fun to play!