[GSoC 2011] Qualification Question

Threads related to Google Summer of Code
DrRex
Gnoblar

[GSoC 2011] Qualification Question

Post by DrRex »

Hello,

I would be really interested in applying for an OGRE GSoC project, but based on a previous question ( [GSoC 2011] question ), I'm not sure that I meet the minimum requirements for participation. I am a very strong C++ programmer with a 4.0 CS GPA, and I have experience with linear algebra and 2D game programming, and I have a lot of practical development experience from an internship at NASA, but I have very little experience with 3D graphics (some OpenGL and Unity experience), and no experience with OGRE.

The reason that I would like to do an OGRE project is because I would like to work with and learn about 3D graphics programming and DirectX. I am a very fast learner, and I have lots of experience working and learning on my own. I think that I would be able to do the research into OGRE and DirectX that is necessary to put a decent project proposal together before the application deadline, but I would not want to do this if my lack of relevant experience will basically disqualify me.

Thanks,
Adam
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Re: [GSoC 2011] Qualification Question

Post by jacmoe »

I think you'd qualify. :)
3D graphics brings a lot of new algorithms to the table, but with your background I am sure you'll handle it.
The most important qualification - besides a solid understanding of programming in general, and C++ in particular - is communication.
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
stealth977
Gnoll

Post by stealth977 »

OGRE is a good library to start 3D Programming with and if you are a quick learner, that should do it =)

How do i know? I come from database programming and thats as a hobby (and for my own companies) and Ogitor is the first editor i have ever written, OGRE is the first 3D engine i have ever used and if i managed it with no CS background, i think you can do it easily =)
Ismail TARIM
Ogitor - Ogre Scene Editor
WWW:http://www.ogitor.org
Repository: https://bitbucket.org/ogitor
DrRex
Gnoblar

Post by DrRex »

Thanks for the quick responses. I will download OGRE and set up a mercurial repository now, and if all goes well I should be back with more questions!

Thanks Again,
Adam