[WIP] Bombs & Penguins! - Early screenshots

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Ologon
Halfling

[WIP] Bombs & Penguins! - Early screenshots

Post by Ologon »

Hi!

I'm happy to announce my very first game developed with ogre3D on which I've been working for some months: Bombs & Penguins

I got inspired by a pretty fun game called "Pyoro" for DSi Ware, even though the gameplay is going to be developed in a quite different way.

Bombs&Penguins is basically an action-puzzle game where you have to avoid falling objects in each level, and try not to get hit by them.
You will also have to hit them with bombs before they destroy the platform you are standing on. :)

Currently the game is in a very early stage, and the full version will feature different levels and worlds to play, as well as many kinds of special items and falling objects. I might also add a multiplayer mode :wink:

I'm using different third party libraries including Particle Universe, Lua/LuaBind for gameplay scripting, pure Bullet for physics (Using BtOgre for trimesh conversion and debug drawing), MyGUI, cAudio, Cg.

Artwork is also self-made with Blender/Gimp/Inkscape because I can't afford a real artist :?
But I will definitely need some help with sound :P

Enough talk, here's some early snapshots of the game :arrow:

And this is a small level editor I developed with Python/Panda3D and WxWidgets. I could have done this with ogre3d too, but I thought it would have taken much less time if I did it with Python :)

TechnoBulldog
Halfling

Re: [WIP] Bombs & Penguins! - Early screenshots

Post by TechnoBulldog »

This looks nice! Keep us posted :D

Will this be for PC? I was kinda assuming so. It looks pretty nice for a first project. Will it be commercial, non-commercial, or open source?
I'm learning. Breezy <- Collection of game components I'm working on.
Wow this was helpful: Quatnerion and Rotation Primer
Ologon
Halfling

Post by Ologon »

Thanks! ^^

Yes, it will be for PC and I will try to make a linux port as well.
I still don't know how I will release it, but it may be commercial at a low price with a freely playable demo. :)
ffoieoi
Halfling

Post by ffoieoi »

Although I can't see the picture. but sound good :D
Slappy
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by Slappy »

Looks really cute!
Upload some gameplay video, as I do not know original DSi game.
Cool looking Graphical Installers in NSIS and Inno Setup: http://www.graphical-installer.com - FREE for Ogre projects
I offer NSIS/Inno Setup scripting, C/C++/C#/Delphi programming: http://www.unsigned.sk
Develop NSIS/Inno Setup projects directly in Visual Studio 2005-2015: http://www.visual-installer.com/
or RAD Studio 2009-XE8: http://www.rad-installer.com/
Ologon
Halfling

Post by Ologon »

Thanks for your comments! :D

I will post a gameplay video as soon as it takes a bit more shape :)
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

Ologon wrote:Yes, it will be for PC and I will try to make a linux port as well.
If it has penguins in it, it has to get a linux port!! :wink:
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
scrawl
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by scrawl »

The game looks great :D I'm also happy about linux port - if you ever need help with it, feel free to PM me.

You could think about open sourcing the game engine while keeping the art assets under a shareware license - that way the community (if there will be one) could make ports on their own and make other patches / improvements - and you can still sell it.
Ologon
Halfling

Post by Ologon »

@scrawl: Thanks! :D
Fortunately I'm not a complete noob when it comes to linux, because I've been using it for some years (Archlinux)
But I haven't done any c++ development on it yet, so any help/advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Some weeks ago I managed to compile an ogre project on linux with KDevelop4 but I was wondering if there was an IDE
better suited for a visual studio user like me. :wink:

Regarding the release license, from what I've seen usually indie developers who don't sell their games don't mind open sourcing their code and
maybe receive donations from users. But developers selling their games usually do not share any code, and that's what
most if not all commercial games showcased here are doing.

The model you proposed is a good idea, but maybe not compatible with game portals like desura or steam and not very simple
to put in practice for a single developer (Having contributors sign papers to retain code ownership would be necessary).
I think it would be beneficial only if a big community grows around the game

Anyway it's a bit early to choose how to release my game. For now I will focus on trying to make it a good game :D