Ponykart

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Pyritie
Gnome

Ponykart

Post by Pyritie »

http://ponykart.net
^ FAQ and stuff up there ^

[youtube]dD2TbtxjTho[/youtube]

Not sure what else there is to say besides it's a kart game with those ponies you might've heard so much about

oh and this is with Mogre
I use Mogre, BulletSharp, LuaNetInterface, irrKlang, and Miyagi! | Ponykart (Showcase)
razi
Greenskin

Re: Ponykart

Post by razi »

Blizzard entertainment? Valve software? :D

Nice job, looks very polished. :)
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

Not even a special thanks for us on IRC... :cry: geee I know where your loyalty lays.

Much kudos, now make it 20% more cooler! :x
areay
Bugbear

Post by areay »

What sort of weapons have you got planned for it? :twisted:

Great sound, beautiful environment. Your youtube video is getting heaps of flamewar activity too.
KungFooMasta
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by KungFooMasta »

Looks nicely done! Whats the demographic for the game?
Creator of QuickGUI!
Nargil
Greenskin

Post by Nargil »

Do you use btRaycastVehicle or custom actors/constrains ?
Hardcore libertarian, hardcore programmer.
Dell M6300: T9300, 4GB, Quadro FX1600M, 17" 1920x1200p non-glare, OCZ Vertex 120 + external Seagate 120GB 7200.3
Use the power of 2 - literally. Non 2^n texture sizes may crash your graphic driver
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

Yeah looks very polished. Shame about the stutters on the video unless that my internet connection :)

Same question as above Blizzard? Valve?
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

KungFooMasta wrote:Looks nicely done! Whats the demographic for the game?
Kinda anyone, I guess. We're only adding stuff that's been in the show, and the show's for kids, so...
Nargil wrote:Do you use btRaycastVehicle or custom actors/constrains ?
We use that as a base, yeah, but there's a whole bunch of other stuff surrounding it to let it drift, stop it from flipping over when it lands, limiting its maximum speed, etc

Zonder wrote:Yeah looks very polished. Shame about the stutters on the video unless that my internet connection :)

Same question as above Blizzard? Valve?
Never heard of valve time? :D
I use Mogre, BulletSharp, LuaNetInterface, irrKlang, and Miyagi! | Ponykart (Showcase)
Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

yeah got it now doh! it flashed passed that quick :)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
Brainshack
Greenskin

Post by Brainshack »

I like your signature^^
Mind Calamity
Ogre Magi

Post by Mind Calamity »

You guys are amazing, the publicity you have is very impressive, I mean ~40k views in a day ? If you made this commercial you would strike gold.

The game itself looks graphically polished, but the carts seem a bit static - you should loosen the suspension, so it doesn't feel like they're racing on a flat track even after a jump.
BitBucket username changed to iboshkov (from MindCalamity)
Do you need help? What have you tried?
- xavier
---------------------
HkOgre - a Havok Integration for OGRE | Simple SSAO | My Blog | My YouTube | My DeviantArt
cybereality
Hobgoblin

Post by cybereality »

Wow! This looks amazing! Nice job.
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

Very cool visual style.
mkultra333
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by mkultra333 »

Looks great. Project is obviously coming along very nicely.

Edit: One thing led to another and I found myself taking the My Little Pony Personality Quiz. I'm just like: Twilight Sparkle.
Last edited by mkultra333 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In theory there is no difference between practice and theory. In practice, there is." - Psychology Textbook.
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

Simply beautiful!
This is very well executed and I really like the visual style. Also the soundtrack works well.
Congratulations!
Developer @ MakeHuman.org
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

Brainshack wrote:I like your signature^^
Borderline to annoying :D !

But the game looks quite polished, but I second the cart physics comment from above. Could use an extra degree of realism. But I really like that the tail/hair of the pony moves according to the cart moves!

And an a related note: I like the music and was really exicted when I thought that I had realized that the music mimics the on-screen actiion = when there was this long sort of slow-motion jump, this dreamy music part started, but I was a bit dissappointed when it continued even after the pony landed and the movie speed was back to normal.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
madmarx
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by madmarx »

Wow, looks great! What is really great is that the visual style looks very faithfull to these animated drawing movies.
Same remarks as the other here (kart/ponytail).
For the trees outside the road, did you use separate entities, or is there some instancing techniques?
Tutorials + Ogre searchable API + more for Ogre1.7 : http://sourceforge.net/projects/so3dtools/
Corresponding thread : http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 93&start=0
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

madmarx wrote:For the trees outside the road, did you use separate entities, or is there some instancing techniques?
Tried using instancing but it ended up being really slow, so they use static geometry.
FragCool
Halfling

Post by FragCool »

Stupid question,

do you have permission to use the ponies. Would be a shame if you have to throw it all away short before finishing the game, just because you didn't ask in the beginning.
Happened to many god fan games ;(
Kojack
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Kojack »

My Little Pony Online and Equestria Online haven't been taken down yet (although both look way less developed than this), so things could be ok for now.
But then again, the ponies are owned by Hasbro, the company that sued the makers of the game Scrabulous because it was too similar to Scrabble, and sued Clue Computers because their name was similar to the board game Clue (it wasn't even a game company).
They're not as bad as Disney though (never try to make an unlicensed Disney game, the lawyers will be at your door before you even finish compiling the code).
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

Fighting is Magic is another pony fangame that's pretty developed, and it's probably the most well-known one as well, and they haven't gotten in any trouble yet either.
Faw
Gnoblar

Post by Faw »

Hilarious! Well done, wish you all the best with it :D
farrer
Halfling

Post by farrer »

At the beggining of the video is the message: "PonyKart is an *opensource* game with no intention to generate profit". On which license do you intend to release it? I'm asking because I think of some opensource (Free-Software) racing games that uses bullet as physic engine (SuperTuxKart, for example) that could share some of yours bulet-solutions (and also, you could borrow something from them too)...

As the game source code is unrelated with the potential "copyrighted-infrigment" game content, your really amazing work won't be fully lost in the case Hasbro intends to take "PonyKart" down (it'll be a shame, but is something that could happen)...

Anyway, excellent work!
Pyritie
Gnome

Post by Pyritie »

farrer wrote:At the beggining of the video is the message: "PonyKart is an *opensource* game with no intention to generate profit". On which license do you intend to release it?
uh

um

the "do whatever you want with it as long as you give credit" license?
duststorm
Minaton

Post by duststorm »

Chances are good that they don't mind as long as you don't make money out of it. The moment you start selling things you can be sure those lawyers will be paying you a visit. ;)
I think this is a very reasonable and fair policy. After all, who would really mind some free advertising, as long as your image isn't being put in a bad context. Rather, having people that pay tribute to your original work like this should really be received positively.
Developer @ MakeHuman.org