Ogre in Augmented Reality Laparoscopic Simulator

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
billias13
Gnoblar

Ogre in Augmented Reality Laparoscopic Simulator

Post by billias13 »

[youtube]tECvdnHZoEI[/youtube]

Title : A novel augmented reality simulator for skills assessment in minimal invasive surgery
Article : http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 014-3930-y

This article is a proof of concept for the potential use of Augmented Reality in laparoscopic simulation training.
We used Ogre3D for rendering, ARToolkit for marker-tracking and BulletPhysics for physics-based modeling.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Re: Ogre in Augmented Reality Laparoscopic Simulator

Post by spacegaier »

Interesting project! Can you share a few photos of the tools/hardware?
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
billias13
Gnoblar

Post by billias13 »

Thank you! Unfortunately i cannot share a lot of things since it is not solely my project, but a photo of the complete setup is here :

spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

That one photo is already enough for me, since I just wanted to have an idea what the real-world counterpart of this simulation looks like. Again, looks like an interesting project. Thanks for sharing!
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...
cose
Halfling

Post by cose »

love your shadows, and the practice is close to virtual surgery, with ogre :)
Germanunkol
Halfling

Post by Germanunkol »

Neat!

How exactly will it work? I'm guessing you will use segmented models from a CT/MRT scan? What's the plan on manipulating them? AFAIK moving the model around with physics will be "relatively" simple, but modifying it (cutting) can be pretty complex. Any hints on how you're going to do that?
billias13
Gnoblar

Post by billias13 »

Thank you for the comments!
The initial effort focuses on replicating the fundamental training tasks for laparoscopic surgery (FLS) that require no interaction with deformable objects etc.
However, we have integrated soft-bodies into the simulation, and it works pretty well with simple geometries. In the presented paper, one of the three training tasks includes clipping and cutting of a virtual (deformable) vain.
Real-time is however an issue, and our implementation of BulletPhysics softbodies needs a lot of improvement in order to achieve realistic interactions with more complex geometries.