New Ogre logo proposal :)

Discussion area about developing or extending OGRE, adding plugins for it or building applications on it. No newbie questions please, use the Help forum for that.
miki3d
Halfling

New Ogre logo proposal :)

Post by miki3d »

Please do not intend it as a provocation, this is just a wip logo proposal for the new ogre version :)

I really would love to use this minimal version on our game splash screen but I really don't know if I'm "free" :)

I mean, actual logo is a bit "outdated" for my feels and I think that a re-design could be good at least for the ogre 2.x version.

Maybe I need to talk with the actual logo designer? Are you there? :D

Tnx

Mik
Co-Founder and Design Director at VaeVictis
Current project Racecraft
al2950
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Re: New Ogre logo proposal :)

Post by al2950 »

I like the idea of a bit of re branding for Ogre 2.x. I would almost go as far as to say we should have a new logo and some form of splash screen animation :D
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

I was thinking the same lately... current overall image (logo, website, forum, etc) feels really 2005, makes people think that ogre is dead
hopefully when 2.1 is ready it comes with a new image =), why not start working right now!
and the sinbad 3D model should get a revamp too.. new textures, materials, pbs, etc
I am very busy these days but I have the intention to contribute in these things =)
I like your logo proposal! can you post the psd/ai or whatever to see if I can make some modifications
miki3d
Halfling

Post by miki3d »

Zonder
Ogre Magi

Post by Zonder »

I agree with the logo very dated and a re-brand is a good idea for v2.

I like the minimalistic idea as it also allows a user to customize the logo colour scheme. Maybe best to keep to a simple palette b/w and about 3 colours tops. But I am no designer so take my advice with a pinch of salt :lol:
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

The logo looks nice and modern. The biggest problem I see is adjusting the whole main website (colours, pictures, layouts...). It's a behemoth with lots of historical content nobody wants to touch (or has the time).
N0vember
Gremlin

Post by N0vember »

For my taste it's fucking perfect !
You nailed it.
I agree that the appearance of Ogre is bad, among other things that could be streamlined.
Only thing is, now we would like Ogre itself to be as lightweight and minimalistic as your new logo :) (Strip down, strip down, strip down !)
dark_sylinc
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by dark_sylinc »

N0vember wrote:Only thing is, now we would like Ogre itself to be as lightweight and minimalistic as your new logo :) (Strip down, strip down, strip down !)
What is it with the obsession with stripping down? Ogre 2.1 had a lot of stuff stripped when compared to 1.x.
Trying to remove more causes more issues than gains in terms of maintenance (supporting all "module" combinations), performance (there's a price to pay for modularity), compatibility (missing module requirement = non-working app; specially when it comes to legacy apps).
Yes, there's still pieces that need large refactors (handling of resources, textures)

I'm a lightweight obsessed, but I'm afraid there's not much more to strip from Ogre. Would I like to make a thinner rendering library ala bgfx? Probably yes. But that library would only suit my own needs and break any kind of compatibility with existing Ogre applications; which is what happens when you strip down too much.
Pazns
Gnoblar

Post by Pazns »

I like your abstraction of the ogre :)
Ogre 2.0 seems to be a good time for this kind of logo refresh.

However, why not try to keep some part of the old design, like colors, or at least remind it in a way ?
It's part of Ogre history afterall, and some of it should be (in my opinion) conserved, for legacy purpose.
shadowfeign
Goblin

Post by shadowfeign »

I think the head inside the 'o' needs to be a bit larger. As it reads now, its a bit difficult to read it as part of the word. I'd say make the frame of the o with the side of the face and top of head, and let the ears and side of jaw break the frame a bit.
miki3d
Halfling

Post by miki3d »

I'll try it!

Feel free to modify it and propose alternatives/colours...the file is up :)
Firefly74
Gnoblar

Post by Firefly74 »

Hey, i made some changes:
-wider ears,
-and tried to add the ear ring ( not easy to get an effect that doesn't looks bad )

I think it's add more refs from original logo. I'm far to be an artist so ears aren't perfectly similar ( not used to the software )
Ogre21Logo3.png
Ogre21Logo3.png (3.04 KiB) Viewed 16056 times
mrmclovin
Gnome

Post by mrmclovin »

Really nice initiative! That logo looks great and definitely more 2015! I like the idea of re-branding ogre a bit.

I personally like the one without the ring, and when there's more black padding!
freegodsoul
Gnoblar

Post by freegodsoul »

I really Like IT! =))
Pazns
Gnoblar

Post by Pazns »

@miki3d :
By the way, what is the font you used ? Is it open ?

Minimalistic yet strong feel with it.
Also, squares.
miki3d
Halfling

Post by miki3d »

Pazns wrote:@miki3d :
By the way, what is the font you used ? Is it open ?

Minimalistic yet strong feel with it.
Also, squares.
http://www.dafont.com/forced-square.font :)
Pazns
Gnoblar

Post by Pazns »

Ah, nice, Creative Commons BY-ND 3.0 .
xrgo
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by xrgo »

another idea, not sure if I like this one or the very first one (without the earring)
EricB
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by EricB »

My opinion will probably be the minority on this, but I find both proposed logos boring, bland, and too retro-mainstream-hipster. None of which is good IMO.

I don't see what's "wrong" with the current logo. It's unique, the color schemes work and they're uncommon. Where as to be honest, both proposed logos look fairly similar to other logos I've seen. (Just can't remember the names of the companies, certainly clothing or gaming related.)

Just my views anyway.
Crystal Hammer
Gnome

Post by Crystal Hammer »

Haha. Finally someone I agree with, in this topic. :mrgreen:
I think the same way as bronzebeard. Don't want to discourage your efforts but, for me the new logos just look too basic/simple and done in few minutes.
(Reminds me of the new Windows 8 and VS 2013 style, coz you know, what for do we have 16M colors, when we can still sell 2 color vector graphic).
I also like the old logo much more and find it very good.
BTW, shouldn't there be more focus on actually developing Ogre 2.1 if possible? And not on making a logo for something which is like halfway done. I'm being realistic (from my POV) and it's just like my opinion OFC. :?
hymerman
Halfling

Post by hymerman »

I really like your logo, miki3d! I totally agree, the current logo looks very old-school. I'd hesitate to put it on a splash screen as it looks today. Your second version is great too.

It kind of reminds me of the Rust logo (the game, not the language).
kariem2k
Kobold

Post by kariem2k »

Maybe a PB-Rendered looking Ogre. Instead of a Cell Shaded one.
Kariem2k.blogspot.com
hebdemnobad
Goblin

Post by hebdemnobad »

miki3d wrote:Please do not intend it as a provocation, this is just a wip logo proposal for the new ogre version :)

I really would love to use this minimal version on our game splash screen but I really don't know if I'm "free" :)

I mean, actual logo is a bit "outdated" for my feels and I think that a re-design could be good at least for the ogre 2.x version.

Maybe I need to talk with the actual logo designer? Are you there? :D

Tnx

Mik
I'd like your design on t-shirts!
cbibejs
Kobold

Post by cbibejs »

I also like miki3d 's logo.
spacegaier
OGRE Team Member
OGRE Team Member

Post by spacegaier »

I am with bronzebeard and CrystalHammer. The old one is easily recognizable and stands out. I'd hate to loose that just for trying to be "hip" instead of true to the legacy.
Ogre Admin [Admin, Dev, PR, Finance, Wiki, etc.] | BasicOgreFramework | AdvancedOgreFramework
Don't know what to do in your spare time? Help the Ogre wiki grow! Or squash a bug...