OgreXMLConverter and big xml file

What it says on the tin: a place to discuss proposed new features.
claustre
Goblin

OgreXMLConverter and big xml file

Post by claustre »

I work with big mesh files (up to 1 million polygons) imported from different file format. For simplicity I convert them to xml first then apply the converter to get binary mesh file.

The converter is very memory consuming as it loads the xml file entirely in memory before converting. It should be fine to load/unload it incrementally while building the geometry buffers...
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi

Post by Game_Ender »

I believe it currently uses tinyxml which is a dom based parser, that by its very nature always loads everything into memory. You would have to rewrite the the tool to use what I believe is called a SAX based parser.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

For very large meshes you would be better not to go via XML at all - can you not write your converter to go direct to binary via MeshSerializer instead of writing XML?
claustre
Goblin

Post by claustre »

sinbad wrote:For very large meshes you would be better not to go via XML at all - can you not write your converter to go direct to binary via MeshSerializer instead of writing XML?
Of course I can, but it is far simple to go with XML :
- my converter does not have to depend on Ogre
- my converter does not have to manage the evolution of the mesh file format (transfered to the OgreConverter)
- my converter has a small and comprehensive source code (even for a person that don't know Ogre)

What I should do is to copy the OgreConverter code as a base, you know, reinventing the wheel ;-)
claustre
Goblin

Post by claustre »

Just for information :

I have converted a 1,000,000 vertices mesh to XML, which result in a 200 MB file (not as big). The converter crashes because requiring more than 2 GB of memory !
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Mostly this is because TinyXML builds a DOM. We'd need to use SAX to deal with something this large I bet - not a quick change.