Ogre at the Uni. of So. Cal

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
psamty
Gnoblar

Ogre at the Uni. of So. Cal

Post by psamty »

After I put on a show-and-tell for three instructors at my university, we've decided to use Ogre as the base for the 'Game AI' class here at USC.

Why thats even more kickass is the ugly alternative (Quake 2 <blech>).
Just thought you'd like to know that Los Angeles is tuned in to you guys... :twisted:

Also, since their grades depend on it, the kids are going to have to finish at least a relatively robust pathfinding library, which is good news for anyone who needs it...
Kezzer
Orc

Post by Kezzer »

That's excellent news, OGRE is stretching out farther than ever to the community :D
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Sounds like exploiting the students... :shock:
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Thanks for the heads up, I guess we can chalk up another Uni then :)

Be sure to post some links if the projects get publicly released.
AssiDragon
Greenskin

Post by AssiDragon »

I've worked with Quake2 and apart from a few notorious problems it aint that bad. :)

Good luck with that though :D
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
psamty
Gnoblar

Post by psamty »

Kencho wrote:Sounds like exploiting the students... :shock:
Considering all the students in the class are wannabe game programmers, probably not :)

Good to know we can count on you guys for support. I've been trying to push it for the Advanced Graphics Lab too (which is kind of a misnomer, it deals more with shaders than actual graphics pipelines) --> the instructor for that class writes the shaders for the Medal of Honor series --> and Im really hoping we can get some more pretty graphics demos (not that anyone can top sinbad ;))
john_sheu
Kobold

Post by john_sheu »

psamty wrote:
Kencho wrote:Sounds like exploiting the students... and Im really hoping we can get some more pretty graphics demos (not that anyone can top sinbad ;))
Nah, nfz tops all in my book :D
psamty
Gnoblar

Post by psamty »

I feel I must commend how much easier to use Ogre has become. I just got a class of 20 to d/l and install it within 30 mins. When I started using it, it took me well over a few hours to get it running.

As we'd say in Arabic: akhsanta (Bravo)
tuan kuranes
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by tuan kuranes »

Why thats even more kickass is the ugly alternative (Quake 2 <blech>).
Hope every AI people hear you ( cf http://fear.sourceforge.net )
the kids are going to have to finish at least a relatively robust pathfinding library, which is good news for anyone who needs it...
First and more complete on the subject : Some thoughts (need registering, but worth the time.): Hierarchical (easy way to be faster and smarter): Some code : Books : For vehicle, the one that beats all (impressive demo, nice code): Tactical AI: Terrain analysis : Some criticism (and ideas) : If you have to read only some, read the Amit page, the Half-Life presentation and the Age of Empire Terrain Analysis doc.
psamty
Gnoblar

Post by psamty »

tuan kuranes wrote: <---------- stuff removed -------------------->
If you have to read only some, read the Amit page, the Half-Life presentation and the Age of Empire Terrain Analysis doc.
Kickass!! However, Im not the instructor and do not control the course info. Interestingly, however, of the last three pages you pointed out, the Amit page is included as required reading, and the instructor was on the Age of Empires team ;), which means that'll definitely play in... thanks!!
scroogie
Halfling

Post by scroogie »

Im just curious, did the aforementioned project ever release something?
Im currently searching for some implemented AI project, because everything I read so far is somehow very abstract. The FEAR Library, which is mentioned here, too, actually has some working bots, but the results have been somehow disappointing for me.