Particle Editor demo released

Anything and everything that's related to OGRE or the wider graphics field that doesn't fit into the other forums.
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Particle Editor demo released

Post by SpannerMan »

Well, here is the promised particle editor demo (windows demo only unfortunately). It's still only at a very early stage of development, but we have decided to begin getting some public feedback, so please help us out in testing it by downloading it from here:

Alpha Demo

For those of you who won't / can't download, here's another screenshot:

Please be sure to read the included Readme file; you will notice that we still have many features to add.

Anyway, let us know how it goes, and have fun :)

mac and spannerman

EDIT: Please check out the Beta demo instead here
Last edited by SpannerMan on Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Oh man, this forum is demo central these days! :) It looks lovely; I hope you realise you're keeping me up when I was otherwise about to go to bed...

[edit]Beautiful, looking really slick for an alpha, I have to say...[/edit]
Last edited by sinbad on Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robomaniac
Hobgoblin

Post by Robomaniac »

SO Many Demos...

Converting from mono to polytheism :P

Now monster and u are my gods :)
phear hingo

My Webpage
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Robomaniac, I never thought there could be such a weak mind around here :D
Just kidding ;)

SpannerMan & Mac. The demo looks really overwhelming. I'm trying to download, but my poor bandwith has declared war to me... While it finishes downloading, tell you this is fine work ;)
neocryptek
Gnome

Post by neocryptek »

awesome!

runs great, ill be playing with this for a while :D

one thing i did notice is pushing esc exits right away, while the 'X' button on the bottom reminds you to save

-N30
pjcast
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by pjcast »

Looks great! I am downloading now. Another great project using CEGUI i c.
Have a question about Input? Video? WGE? Come on over... http://www.wreckedgames.com/forum/
Kencho
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Kencho »

Ok. I've just finished playing around with the demo. I think it's a great demo. It should be included in the next snapshot of Ogre (apart of the featured proyects :))
Great job!!
jwace81
Kobold

Post by jwace81 »

I like what you've done with CEGUI, it looks very impressive, and your program runs great for an alpha build.

This will definately get added to my collection of tools :)

J.W.
PeterNewman
Greenskin

Post by PeterNewman »

Downloadin' loading loading... demo! Demo.....

Woo, sweet. Very nicely designed, easy to use. Are you sure this is only an alpha? :wink:
Cyberdigitus
Halfling

Post by Cyberdigitus »

very pretty, but please change the ogre fps counter to a cegui one too :wink:

Any possibility to implement this as a Chronos module, since you seem to know the particle api well?
. . .
Kezzer
Orc

Post by Kezzer »

Looks very nice. I'm still not keen on the CEGUI look though
nfz
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by nfz »

Excellent Alpha demo, I played with the it for over an hour creating some cool particle effects.
scriptkid
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

Post by scriptkid »

Hey this looks nice. I'll play with it today. I think that particles effect are -a bit like gui's- very time consuming to develop on a trial-and-error basis, so it should be a useful tool :-)
psyclonist
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by psyclonist »

This is one of these really useful tools! Bring it on!

-psy
CrazyEddie
Goblin

Post by CrazyEddie »

Yes, excellent work guys :) Not only is it going to be a very useful tool, but it also demonstrates what can be achieved with a certain Gui system :lol:

CE.
Lee04
Minaton

It's tools like these that will make tfhe Ogre great to work

Post by Lee04 »

Hi

I just want to say what a lovely tool :)

/Lee04
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

I must say, I really was not expecting so much positive responses, its very humbling; we thank you all very much for your kind words :D

The best thing is...there's still more to come! We hope that we meet your expectations when we release the final version.
neocryptek wrote: one thing i did notice is pushing esc exits right away, while the 'X' button on the bottom reminds you to save
We were aware of this one, but forgot to put it in the readme with the list of known bugs / Todo's. Thanks for the heads up!
Cyberdigitus wrote: Any possibility to implement this as a Chronos module, since you seem to know the particle api well?
mac and I originally had discussions over whether to make the Particle Editor a Chronos plugin, or to use cegui. There are pros and cons for both. What swung it in cegui's favour was the straightforward cross-platform support. We knew cegui was going to become a very useful library, especially when combined with OGRE, so we decided what better way to get to grips with it than by using it on a new project.
I am still interested in learning C#, and I am also extremely impressed from what I have seen so far of the Chronos editor. But whether we will carry on to make a Chronos plugin, I'm afraid I can't say for definite right now.
Kencho wrote:Ok. I've just finished playing around with the demo. I think it's a great demo. It should be included in the next snapshot of Ogre (apart of the featured proyects :))
Thanks Kencho, but hehe, its not that good! Still, if it turns out well and eventually gets accepted as a tool in the OGRE addons section, we would be honoured :)
Cyberdigitus
Halfling

Post by Cyberdigitus »

I seems to get very slow cursor response...
. . .
AssiDragon
Greenskin

Post by AssiDragon »

I only noted the slow cursor response at low FPS values - though my guess is that's normal (Windows does the same at least :P)

And this seems to be a VERY decent tool :D keep it up!
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
mac
Kobold

Post by mac »

I'm also pleased to see such a possitve feedback. Thanks guys!
It seems that Spannerman and I are not the only ones who think that a particle editor is useful. :)
sinbad wrote:I hope you realise you're keeping me up when I was otherwise about to go to bed...
That's a thing you have to cope with when you make such a beautiful engine... ;)
PeterNewman wrote:Are you sure this is only an alpha? :wink:
It is not too far away from being a useful tool with all the basic features. At least adding and removing of affectors should be in before we can call this a complete tool that makes sense. Also not all features of the particle system are supported in this version:
- Multiple emitters (you can load files with more than one emitters now but only edit the first one)
- Affector ColourImage is not supported. I plan an extra folder, where you put the gradient files. All files from this folder will be available in the Listbox. Any comments about this? Has this a high priority for somebody?
KeZZeR wrote:Looks very nice. I'm still not keen on the CEGUI look though
One day we will release the source code and you can change it to windows-look (thanks to Crazy Eddie this should be quite easy).
Maybe we will even implement a skinning support - but that's not high priority.
Cyberdigitus wrote:very pretty, but please change the ogre fps counter to a cegui one too :wink:
That's a fair request ;) - it will be done in one of the next versions.
Cyberdigitus wrote:Any possibility to implement this as a Chronos module, since you seem to know the particle api well?
I want to add to Spannermans answer that I had to learn how to use CEGUI anyway (for my main project...). Shure it is an option doing a port to Chronos in the future but my time is very limited, and I will be happy to finish the CEGUI version - so: no promises.
Cyberdigitus wrote:I seems to get very slow cursor response...
I recon it's only when you have low frame rates (as AssiDragon stated). This is caused by many particles (be careful with the emission rate...) and also a little bit through the transparency of the windows. Maybe we should introduce an option to change the alpha value...

Thanks for any feedback,
cheers,
mac
SpannerMan
Gold Sponsor
Gold Sponsor

Post by SpannerMan »

mac wrote:
Cyberdigitus wrote:I seems to get very slow cursor response...
I recon it's only when you have low frame rates (as AssiDragon stated). This is caused by many particles (be careful with the emission rate...) and also a little bit through the transparency of the windows. Maybe we should introduce an option to change the alpha value...
Yup, if your particle quota and emission rate (along with other factors) are too high and your frame rate drops, you are going to receive an all round slow down (at least, this has happened to me too). You may then notice that by hiding cegui windows, the frame rates improve again.
Changing the frame window alpha value to be a customisable value is a good idea, we'll do that.
Antiarc
Greenskin

Post by Antiarc »

SpannerMan wrote:mac and I originally had discussions over whether to make the Particle Editor a Chronos plugin, or to use cegui. There are pros and cons for both. What swung it in cegui's favour was the straightforward cross-platform support. We knew cegui was going to become a very useful library, especially when combined with OGRE, so we decided what better way to get to grips with it than by using it on a new project.
I am still interested in learning C#, and I am also extremely impressed from what I have seen so far of the Chronos editor. But whether we will carry on to make a Chronos plugin, I'm afraid I can't say for definite right now.
Well, if you don't, I likely will, possibly by porting a lot of this over. This is something I have a definite interest in. ;)

Besides, C# is easy stuff. :D

Downloading the demo now. What's I've seen so far is impressive already; I can't wait to see it in action!
jwace81
Kobold

Post by jwace81 »

SpannerMan wrote:
mac wrote:I recon it's only when you have low frame rates (as AssiDragon stated). This is caused by many particles (be careful with the emission rate...) and also a little bit through the transparency of the windows. Maybe we should introduce an option to change the alpha value...
Yup, if your particle quota and emission rate (along with other factors) are too high and your frame rate drops, you are going to receive an all round slow down (at least, this has happened to me too). You may then notice that by hiding cegui windows, the frame rates improve again.
Changing the frame window alpha value to be a customisable value is a good idea, we'll do that.
I would guess that the speedup has more to do with the fact that alll of the controls on the windows are no longer being rendered than anything else. I doubt that changing the alpha will really help with that. Your windows have a lot of controls, which ends up pushing a lot of quads to the renderer for rendering. When you hide the windows (roll up I"m assuming), the controls are no longer visible, so there are less quads to render.

J.W.
Antiarc
Greenskin

Post by Antiarc »

Awesome demo. This thing is FUN to play with!

My concern, too, is the mouse input. The demo is running at about 15 FPS constant for me, but the mouse is so slow that's it's almsot unresponsive at times. Are you using unbuffered input?
Sputnick
Greenskin

Post by Sputnick »

Nice job, both of you.

Running between 30fps and 60fps on my PC (both OpenGL & D3D).
Is it CEGUI that make the fps drop or the particules ?

Still some work to do with the slider (max value, intervals, ...).

CE, can you increase the width of the sidebar compared to general width of the slider widget. It is rather hard to pick exactly the sidebar on small sliders.

- Sput