screenshots of a tilebased terrain manager

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
Filopher
Greenskin

screenshots of a tilebased terrain manager

Post by Filopher »

Some screenshots of our tilebased terrain manager - still in development!

see discussion thread here:

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12951[url]
Last edited by Filopher on Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Nice Pimp! :D

Looking forward to it! 8)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

looks cool!

it reminds me very much of C&C Red Alert , but merged with C&C Generals at the same time.. Very cool! 8)
ahmedali
Gnome

Post by ahmedali »

Very interesting indeed, I think its the first time someone has made a tilebased terrain in ogre. And youre getting pretty good frame rates.

I see some artifacts around the tiles edges in last 3 screen shots.

Just to know your opinions, why didnt you chosed the PaginfLandscape.
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

ahmedali wrote:I see some artifacts around the tiles edges in last 3 screen shots.
Yes, indeed. These are earlier screenshots. The artifacts are gone since we use manual mipmapping.
ahmedali wrote:Just to know your opinions, why didnt you chosed the PaginfLandscape.
The PagingLandscape is surely an excellent addon, but I'm coding a turnbased strategy game. I needed a terrain manager that is devided into tiles and is able to organize dozens (or hundreds) of very different tile textures next to another. I have to admit that my knowledge about the paging manager is somewhat limited, but I think it's more suitable for huge realistic maps with only a few textures. As far as I can tell it uses a completely different technique to texture the world and the two managers are not compatible.
Bloodypriest
Goblin

Post by Bloodypriest »

Looks nice. You might want to consider working a bit on those banks though. There's a noticeable cut between water a land. Problem is : it is pretty hard to get this to work in a convincing way without killing your framerate so you might also want to delay this feature a bit and consider it only for a later version.
polyveg
Halfling

Post by polyveg »

You might want to consider working a bit on those banks though
no chance, we used gpl for the tileengine, now we want to make a little break (for about 2 years) and see how the source code will expand...

btw, when you take a look at the water while the tileegine is running, you will see that we only need a little animated wave/spray at the shore.
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

Polyveg is joking but there is truth in his words. We both are coding our own games and decided to work on a basic terrain manager together to speed up things and to share our results with the ogre community. So you must understand that our main goal is to add features that are necessary for the basic of one of our games and not to code a terrain manager that everyone will be happy with.

But feel free to criticize the screenshots. There are still many things that can be improved.
Bloodypriest
Goblin

Post by Bloodypriest »

Nah. That was just a suggestion I thought might look cool. We're currently developing our own scenemanager too (and full blown game engine for that matter). And I'll use that as a test platform for my master thesis actually. There's not enough progress to show screenshots now though.
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

Bloodypriest wrote:Nah. That was just a suggestion I thought might look cool. We're currently developing our own scenemanager too (and full blown game engine for that matter). And I'll use that as a test platform for my master thesis actually. There's not enough progress to show screenshots now though.
Does it include a tilebased terrain manager, too?
NeOmega
Halfling

Post by NeOmega »

This for a turn-based game?

looks like a good foundation.
Falagard
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by Falagard »

Very nice looking. I was playing GuildWars the other day and noticed they *must* be doing some type of tile system. I'm sure it's pretty fancy, and I have a feeling they allow overlapping tiles and/or a combination of tiles with texture splatting.

Anyhow, your screenshots look pretty sweet.

Clay
stodge
Goblin

Post by stodge »

Nice! Is there a description of your game anywhere? I like turn based strategy games.
What does the debugger tell you? You *are* using a debugger, right??
Advisor
Halfling

Post by Advisor »

Not so bad :D I've seen worse.
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

There's a new screenshot that shows two new features:

The first thing is mouse picking. The user can select single tiles to manipulate them.

The second thing is the support for light mapping. No ogre lights are switched on in this screenshot. The user can create a texture that will act as a lightmap for the whole world. Although in this screenshot only a black-white lightmap is used, the lightmap can have any colors.
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

stodge wrote:Nice! Is there a description of your game anywhere? I like turn based strategy games.
Yes, there is: http://www.code-black.org

Unfortunately it's a german page. There is the possibility to translate in into english via google, but ... well online translations can be funny. :lol:
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

another perspective (I like it)

http://www.code-black.org/Bilder/gross.jpg
Last edited by Filopher on Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

Why did the change in perspective cause such a drop in FPS? That's kind of interesting, unless it was just something unrelated. I would have thought that the wider angle would produce worse FPS due to more of the terrain being visible.
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

Praetor wrote:Why did the change in perspective cause such a drop in FPS? That's kind of interesting, unless it was just something unrelated. I would have thought that the wider angle would produce worse FPS due to more of the terrain being visible.
Sorry, my fault. I forgot to mention that the last screen was shot with 8xAA and 16xAF, just for a nice view. ;)

edit: Because the screenshot is so huge, I changed it to a link.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

That'll do it. Looking really good
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

The lightmap can be created internally and can be used to support some kind of exploring feature. If you know the game Civilization you possibly know what I mean. A lot of strategy games call it "fog of war".

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

This keeps getting better and better! :)
Filopher
Greenskin

Post by Filopher »

Thanks to Madtulip the tilemanager now places entities all over the world and is able to move them around with the integrated pathfinding. If a tile is blocked by another object the entity tries to find another way.

Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

nice!!, great work :P
snipexv
Halfling

Post by snipexv »

That is AWESOME!