Soon to come: Open source texture painter

The place for artists, modellers, level designers et al to discuss their approaches for creating content for OGRE.
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Soon to come: Open source texture painter

Post by centipede »

Hi folks. You may remember me from such disasters as "CGT - plugins for Gimp" and various free textures.

Now I'm at it again with my own bunch of programs which I have been working on for some time now. One of them has just now reached a state where I could convince my girlfriend that it was more than a bunch of wires. Perhaps some of you would like to add a few comments on the way?

Get it here: http://artcamilla.dk/centipede

LINUX ONLY!! (About 200 lines of system-dependent code, but I know jackass about windows)
Requirements: working OPENGL, powerful GPU (GPU driven stuff), Boost, GLEW.

Install instructions and more are in the package which has these top directories:
./camilla <-- enter here and read readme,install
./common <-- shared files
./media <-- brushes etc.

Here's a screenshot:

http://artcamilla.dk/centipede/insects/ ... .0.1-c.jpg
Last edited by centipede on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I also remember you for some really great looking CEGUI skins! :D
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

Actually as a reasonably high priority on the paint-program I aim to make a CEGUI-skin export plugin. Should ease the task up quite a bit.
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

If anybody wants to try a Windows-port, here are a few hints:

There are four contact-points with the outside system - video, audio, threads and filepaths - and three of these are gathered in just these two files:

xylodrepa/audio-streams/audiocircuit_alsa.cpp
xylodrepa/video-streams/videocircuit_x11gl.cpp

The first is responsible for supplying the programs with a steady, buffered sound input/output, and you can skip it completely for Coccinella - sound comes into play in Acherontia (still being developed). The second (class videocircuit_x11gl) provides both a video-output facility (i.e. an OpenGL texture that can be written to) and a key-event stream and a mouse-event-stream. These are all essential for the GUI toolkit.

And no, it is not CEGUI :cry:... Please don't be dissappointed that I have neither used Ogre nor CEGui. I did try at once, but ran into problems. Besides I had made four or five GUI attempts before I even heard about CrazyEddie's, and couldn't live with not finishing what I had once begun.

I *DO* tie in OpenGL in every corner of the program. Forget about DirectX! If it is any consolation, I did consider this for very long, and NO, I don't want to build another language-layer on top of a layer that is supposed to be an open standard for graphics communication. OpenGL *IS* such an abstraction in my view. Sorry for the philosophical rant. :?
Chris Jones
Lich

Post by Chris Jones »

use ogre and u wont have to build that layer to use both dx and ogl, cos its already done for u :wink:

can we still use this for ogre models? or would we have to use a different format, then convert to ogre?
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

Cool aproach, but I wounder, why one should start such thing from scratch and not using the already good working gimp as a base? That would be something that really, really rocks... Use Ogre as 3D View I would suggest :-)
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

Chris Jones wrote:use ogre and u wont have to build that layer to use both dx and ogl, cos its already done for u :wink:

can we still use this for ogre models? or would we have to use a different format, then convert to ogre?
Hehe, nice one! No really, GPU driven content-creation programs are far too wide-scoped to be able to run on top of a game engine.

As to the formats, I'm doing my testing with ogre meshes that are modelled and uv-mapped in Blender and exported with the Ogre-exporter.

I will do whatever is in my power to avoid creating another fileformat! Something the world does NOT need more of.
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

SunSailor wrote:Cool aproach, but I wounder, why one should start such thing from scratch and not using the already good working gimp as a base? That would be something that really, really rocks... Use Ogre as 3D View I would suggest :-)
Believe me, I KNOW the Gimp environment! Having spent considerable time on their mailing lists convinced me to start on my own. I NEVER REGRETTED!

I love GNU's licence, but that's it! Gimp - and the entire gnu project is [..selfcensored utterances..] antiquated C code, and it shows. I have features done in less than ten minutes in my pathetic little program that I have been waiting for years to come to Gimp. It didn't, and the waiting is over.

Once again, sorry for the rant. It won't be the last :P

EDIT: More rant: I've made plugins, brushes, patterns, tutorial etc. for Gimp, and frankly I never managed to reach a level where I could satisfactory game graphics.
steven
Gnoll

Post by steven »

Is your tool build with Ogre ?

If not, you realise that you are promoting your own tool ?
Which isn't very nice for the ogre team ...

You realise what would happen if everyone do this?

Bye
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

.....?

The world would be full of free-and-open-source art creation programs?

Is this a trick question?
Simon
Gnoblar

Post by Simon »

steven wrote:Is your tool build with Ogre ?

If not, you realise that you are promoting your own tool ?
Which isn't very nice for the ogre team ...

You realise what would happen if everyone do this?

Bye
What happened to friendlyness in this world. This tools is really usefull with ogre, maybe you should embrace it instead of well, make centipide look ugly.
Proud member of openFrag - http://www.openfrag.org
SunSailor
Gnoll

Post by SunSailor »

Don't see the problem, either. At least it uses the ogre mesh xml format, which makes it related to ogre and even if not, it still is a very cool try on a useful subject. Hope there will be a windows port soon :-), so I may test it, too.
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

There are surprisingly few linux people even here. Well, I'm moving threading and filesystem code to the Boost library as we speak, and somewhere in my code-archives is a semi-working windows version of my graphical subsystem. Better give that port a high priority... :wink:
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I will try it on Linux when I've got the time to tinker.
Centipede: this tool is good news!
Don't mind the comments about not using Ogre.
I saw you in action when you made the Crazy Skin Eddietor - and I am anxious to learn what this new development brings. :)
xavier
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by xavier »

centipede wrote:There are surprisingly few linux people even here. Well, I'm moving threading and filesystem code to the Boost library as we speak, and somewhere in my code-archives is a semi-working windows version of my graphical subsystem. Better give that port a high priority... :wink:
I do as much of the development on our project on Linux as I do Windows, but I am not an artist. Most of your artists likely will be running Windows, not Linux, because there simply are more tools available on Windows.
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

@Steven: Perhaps I can follow you sentiments, perhaps not. Still I feel urged to say a few words of a philosohical nature now that opportunity provides it.

A very strong current in the open source world is the drive towards the office-package, the photoshop lookalike, the this and the that. Around every large project gathers a group of followers which comes in all flavours of devotional nature, just think GTK and Qt. This is not a bad thing in my view (how could it be when they represent the momentum of the support for all these great projects), just one state of mind amongst many about the world around us.

Another one - which I am biased towards - is that of individualism. The individualistic people are far too often the silent part of the scene, probably because they tend to whisper "divide, divide" against the univocal "unite, unite" of others. I feel urged to try to make my own tools - for my own sake basically.

Of course even hermits stands on the shoulders of others. When I turn on my compiler, it is like being alone with the "philosopher" Bjarne Stroustrup, trying to see things his way. That is what I like about C++ and the state of the open source world: It grants you a very small opportunity to try the game of conceptualization, something everybody deserves to try at least once. Like sex I guess :D
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

Sorry for spamming you people again. Just wanted to show a little piece of progress. Windows port is coming up not too far away.

It's a little cutiepie program that I'm sure will be helpful to a forum member or two...

http://artcamilla.dk/centipede/

jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

If this means that I will have to fire up good 'ole Linux, I will! :D

Is that an imported Ogre mesh you have there? :)

Interface is awesome! 8)

<edit>

If this little program could load an Ogre mesh and spit out a material along with the image(s), you would be my hero! Image

</edit>
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

Code: Select all

./coccinella MyUVMappedOgreMesh.mesh.xml
If you leave out the meshfile, you'll start up with a cube like in the picture. Press SAVE in the bottom, right of the window and a file called "-----1.tga" will be saved in the current directory. Only the color map is saved, not the bump for specularity maps. Not yet anyway.

Please say that your linux is not that old! This needs OpenGL (2.0?) and GPU. Fairly recent Ubuntu or debian both works.

Careful when you unpack the texture and (brush)tip files. I've packed things badly, so you probably need to manipulate the files into ./media/textures yourself.

tar -xzf camillas-insect-circus-0.0.2.tar.gz 
tar -xzf textures-architecture1.tar.gz 
tar -xzf textures-artistic1.tar.gz 
tar -xzf textures-lifeforms1.tar.gz 
tar -xzf textures-wildlife1.tar.gz 
tar -xzf tips-artistic1.tar.gz 
tar -xzf tips-procedural1.tar.gz 
cp -R textures-architecture1/* camillas-insect-circus-0.0.2
cp -R textures-artistic1/* camillas-insect-circus-0.0.2
cp -R textures-lifeforms1/* camillas-insect-circus-0.0.2
cp -R textures-wildlife1/* camillas-insect-circus-0.0.2
cp -R tips-artistic1/* camillas-insect-circus-0.0.2
cp -R tips-procedural1/* camillas-insect-circus-0.0.2
The meshes I create are made with blender. I don't know if the mesh format is different with other exporters. My xml-reader is only 50 codelines :)

P.S.: As the NEWS file mentions, the current default viewport shader (./common/utility/coccinella_default_shader_v+f.glsl) can not yet show the bump map and specularity map even though they are actually being painted too. I need to make better shaders.
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Good 'ole Linux is FC4 with nVidia driver, so I guess it's cool. It is running Ogre after all. :)

I will give it a spin in a day or two - just need to grab some spare hours out of my schedule. :wink:

Great work! :P
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Now I'm actually running this thing! :)
coccinella wrote:meshentity_adaption::revisionCommence... unfinished
raster_image::revisionCommence... 1,1,2
combinertool::operation_commence... cheat: Cleaning out the wet-layer using naughty dynamic_cast!
combinertool::drawAll... Framebuffer incompleteness error!
Segmentation fault
It happens everytime I click on the drawing area..
I compiled it from source.

Btw: I think one of the artist packages is broken - I revieved an EOF error: textures-wildlife1.

And now I see them: vcproj-files! Can I compile this thing in Windoze?
:P

I like the look and feel of it.
ZBrush and Bryce springs to my mind.
They are not following the norm either. :wink:

<edit>

This is high-quality stuff. :)
The brushes/textures looks awesome.
As this is the 0.0.2 release, and of course buggy, it makes not able to wait for more to come. :P

In the mean-while, I think I'll just switch to Windows to try out the VC build process.

</edit>
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

UH OH wait! VC not ready yet.. I'm still working on them.

wildlife1 package has been fixed.

Thought I was through fighting those framebuffer incompletenesses. Could you post your Nvidia driver version? If you run 'glxinfo' from a shell, I think it will show all I need to now.

Perhaps if I could persuade you also to - while still in linux - comment out the if/throw clause in the file: camilla/coccinella/cocci_combinertool.cpp in the function 'drawAll' at line 195-196:

// if (glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT (GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT) != GL_FRAMEBUFFER_COMPLETE_EXT)
			// throw "combinertool::drawAll... Framebuffer incompleteness error!";
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

xeris.lib and xiphydria.lib built succesfully on Windows.
Then I ran into trouble! Seems like some internal window proc in xiphydria::miro::Studio are missing.. :P

Anyway, I will try it out more on Linux tomorrow.
And I will post my glxinfo and comment out the thing in the cocci_combinertool. :wink:

I hope I will not dream of scary insects! :roll:

Cheers!
centipede
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

Post by centipede »

(*Sigh*) Now, if anybody wants to help with the Windows port then here's a plea for assistance:

Somebody with a stable connection please download Nvidia's f...reaking huge SDK and get me opengl32.lib, glu*.lib and the gl.h files. I need a couple of MB from them and they only offer a 342MB package with tons of crap I can't use, no ftp server and no resumable downloads. Idiots. It is 3am and I'm not trying again tonight.