Another Day of Chaos - Multiplayer FPS

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
daedar
Halfling

Another Day of Chaos - Multiplayer FPS

Post by daedar »

Hi,

we're 5 french students and I think it's time for us to present our game in Ogre's forums (we're working for 5month on it). It's a multiplayer FPS game with some RPG aspects (you can customize your character, the maps change if you win/loose a game, ...).
We're currently testing the alpha version of ADoC, you can see a video here:

http://adoc.g0dsoft.com/AdocTrailerEN.wmv

and our site:

http://adoc.g0dsoft.com/

we still have a lot of work to do for the beta version available in September but you can see/comment the video and screenshots if you want to :wink: that should be helpfull for us to have some feedbacks.

Some screenshots:

Thanks a lot

Daedar
Last edited by daedar on Thu May 10, 2007 7:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Aladrin
Orc

Post by Aladrin »

Very nice! Congrats!
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

excellent video. The project looks to be very full-featured and ambitious. From what I can see in the video, it looks like you have a solid foundation for the major gameplay elements.

good luck on your project!

also just out of curiosity, what physics engine are you using?
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

Thanks...

walaber, we're using your OgreNewt project... very usefull for us.

This isn't really the place to talk about that but we've got a small problem with the BasicOgreNewtListener: in fact in the frameStarted, you're using a while loop to potentially execute more than one update / frame. The problem is that when you've got for exemple 3-4 updates/frame, it slows down the entire game so that the next frame will also execute 3-4updates and so on... do you have a simple solution for that (I tried update(elapse/update) but this makes the physic engine react slowly)? maybe I should post in the OgreNewt forum?
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by CaseyB »

WOW! Those screens are really impressive! What did your artist use to create the Normal Maps? I've struggled with this for a long time!
Game_Ender
Ogre Magi

Post by Game_Ender »

If I remember the loop correctly it should have a cutoff that will drop a frame if the update time becomes to large. You really should just create your own game loop and make a scheduler that can handle abrupt slow downs properly.
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

@CaseyB: For the character, we've created a highpoly with ZBrush which can generate a normal map from the highpoly. For everything else, we've used the photoshop plugin (from NVidia) that generates a normal map from a color map. Very very usefull unless you've got the right parameters... I can send the ones we use if you want.

@Game_Ender: We've already have our physic frame listener but in fact, our physic world is complex (landscape, buildings, vehicles) and even with 4 updates/frame it slows down a little on my P4 2Ghz (little old I know but we'd like the game to run also on small configs). So the perfect thing would be to have only one update / frame with the correct time elapsed value. I tried this but I wonder if for example: update(2); update(2) is equivalent to update(4). Doesn't seems to...
CaseyB
OGRE Contributor
OGRE Contributor

Post by CaseyB »

daedar wrote:I can send the ones we use if you want.
That would be great! I'd love to see them!
walaber
OGRE Expert User
OGRE Expert User

Post by walaber »

daedar wrote:This isn't really the place to talk about that but we've got a small problem with the BasicOgreNewtListener: in fact in the frameStarted, you're using a while loop to potentially execute more than one update / frame. The problem is that when you've got for exemple 3-4 updates/frame, it slows down the entire game so that the next frame will also execute 3-4updates and so on... do you have a simple solution for that (I tried update(elapse/update) but this makes the physic engine react slowly)? maybe I should post in the OgreNewt forum?
you need to decide a threshold at which point you decide the physics have become "too far behind". in other words, you need to do too many updates to maintain the framerate. In that case, you can do something as simple as:

Code: Select all

if (mUpdateElapsed > 0.1f)
{
   // only update once, because we are behind!
   mWorld->update( mPhysicsUpdate );

// now reset the elapsed time variable, so we don't stay "behind"
   mUpdateElapsed = 0.0f;
}
you can add similar code into the BasicFrameListener to fix that problem.
Go Go Gadget OGRE!!
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

@walaber: k, thx walaber I'll try this asap.

@CaseyB: I'll ask my designers this afternoon and post the parameters they use in this post.
Lizard
Halfling

Post by Lizard »

wow that looks amazing, I thought the video was superb, all very professional looking and beautifully presented. The helicopter with the dragonfly wings makes me think of ornithopters from the Dune novels, some very nice looking design work all round your artist(s) are very talented.

I would also be interested in those normal mapping parameters, thankyou for sharing.
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

The helicopter with the dragonfly wings makes me think of ornithopters from the Dune novels
Exactly! Our main designer is a fan of Dune so I think he has been a little influenced :wink:

And of course, I'll share our normalmap settings as soon as I got it.
Funcracker
Halfling

Post by Funcracker »

I'm wondering, is this your first Ogre project? It's really impressive! You lads did a very nice job on the movie and the models as well.
Looking forward to see the final version!

I noticed on your site you are trying to get the alpha release bugfree before releasing it. That might be a first :P
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

I'm wondering, is this your first Ogre project?
Yep... We discovered Ogre last summer and we found it so easy and powerfull that we decided to try to develop a game using Ogre.
I noticed on your site you are trying to get the alpha release bugfree before releasing it. That might be a first Razz
hehe yes of course :wink: In fact it seems to be bugfree but as it is a multiplayer game, we'd like to slowly increase the number of players to check if the server can handle the charge.
BSer
Halfling

Post by BSer »

Looks very cool. Is this a school project or is it some kind of commercial venture?
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

Just right in the midlle :wink: ... it's basically a school project but we've got some opportunities to present our game to professionnals. So wait and see :)
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

ok so here are the setting we use for the Photoshop NormalMapFIlter:

Filter Type: "4x4 sample"
Scale: 6-8
Height Source: "Average RGB" works fine but this settings really depends of your image.

In fact the settings really depends of your image. Sometimes it seems usefull to switch to black&white and increase the contrast a little before generating the normal map.
Kezzer
Orc

Post by Kezzer »

Nice, the screenshots don't do it justice, but the video is awesome :) It's very complete too, and very Unreal-esque. The buggy vehicle reminds me of HL2
code | blog
jacmoe wrote:MMORPG good. :o
Xavier bad. :x
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Really nice looking, I'm downloading the movie now. Nice work!
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

I agree! Very convincing! :)

However: I see that you've got lots of good screenshots and other imagery - please: Inlined pictures is a requirement of the ShowCase Forum.
If you don't honour that, I am forced to lock this topic up! :twisted:
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

However: I see that you've got lots of good screenshots and other imagery - please: Inlined pictures is a requirement of the ShowCase Forum.
If you don't honour that, I am forced to lock this topic up! Twisted Evil
Oups really sorry :? be sure I'll post screenshots in the next few hours...

EDIT: Done :wink:
jacmoe
OGRE Retired Moderator
OGRE Retired Moderator

Post by jacmoe »

Much better! :D

Amazing work!
This is professional level quality! Kudos! :)
/* Less noise. More signal. */
Ogitor Scenebuilder - powered by Ogre, presented by Qt, fueled by Passion.
OgreAddons - the Ogre code suppository.
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

Amazing work!
This is professional level quality! Kudos! Smile
Thanks a lot! :)
daedar
Halfling

Post by daedar »

just some news to say that we're still working on ADoC, we've made a little paper on our project (in French only for the moment, but it should be available in English by the end of the week. Some new pictures inside ;)):

http://adoc.g0dsoft.com/ADoC%20-%20Presentation.pdf

and new artwork in the forum:

http://adoc.g0dsoft.com/fr/phpBB2

Daedar

http://polytech.miniville.fr/
Rambus
Greenskin

Post by Rambus »

Wow this game has turned into a gem!

Good work guys :)