Ogre Soft Shadows Demo

A place to show off your latest screenshots and for people to comment on them. Only start a new thread here if you have some nice images to show off!
nullsquared
Old One

Ogre Soft Shadows Demo

Post by nullsquared »

There's a post in General Discussion, but that's more of the "development" part. I decided to post a showcase thread containing nothing more than screen shots and the direct downloads: (I don't know, people seem to "miss it" in the General Discussion thread since the screen shots and stuff is pretty scattered around)

Link0: http://cheapfilehost.com/file.php?file= ... c76021392d
Link1: http://rapidshare.com/files/98990587/Og ... o.zip.html
Link2: http://www.mediafire.com/?10x0x0gumyy

Original thread: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39557

@ mods: If you think this thread is worthless, no problem if you deem to get rid of it.
my.name
Goblin

Post by my.name »

oO
Denis_
Halfling

Post by Denis_ »

my.name wrote:oO
Ñ‚Ñ‹ терь каждый поÑ
my.name
Goblin

Post by my.name »

nice =)
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Great work - more detailed discussion in your dev thread :)
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

Whoa, very nice
Jallen
Halfling

Post by Jallen »

Nice one Null

I also noticed that these look a lot better than the ones which were in portalized to begin with. They kind of appears blocky because the edge bits were too big. This however looks really good, reminds me of Crysis.
Last edited by Jallen on Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evak
Orc Shaman

Post by Evak »

very nice, I have to see if I can get one of our programmers to look at your shadow demo and implement something similar in our app. Will be interesting to see how well it performs compared to the ugly but fast stencils were using at the moment.
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Evak wrote:very nice, I have to see if I can get one of our programmers to look at your shadow demo and implement something similar in our app. Will be interesting to see how well it performs compared to the ugly but fast stencils were using at the moment.
There's a high chance that this will perform worse than stencil shadows, depending on your machine setup and game setup.
Evak
Orc Shaman

Post by Evak »

There's a high chance that this will perform worse than stencil shadows, depending on your machine setup and game setup.
Yeah, I expect so, our game isn't taxing my a64 3000+ 7800GS at all, so maybe it would still be suitable for high graphics settings. Will be interesting to find out :)
Jabberwocky
OGRE Moderator
OGRE Moderator

Post by Jabberwocky »

nullsquared wrote:
Evak wrote:very nice, I have to see if I can get one of our programmers to look at your shadow demo and implement something similar in our app. Will be interesting to see how well it performs compared to the ugly but fast stencils were using at the moment.
Stencil shadows are a killer if you're using them on a lot of high-poly models. Evak - I'd definitely give this a shot to compare performance
bharling
Gremlin

Post by bharling »

Fantastic Work, 10 gold stars :)

- have integrated it into my app and looks loverly.

on my work 8500GT its around 130 fps, on my home X1650 its about 95 fps, but doesn't look as nice as it does on the NVIDIA card ( lots of aliasing around the shadow boundaries ). I guess that issue has been covered a lot in this and related threads though! C'mon ATI - sort it out!

Both OGL and D3D seem to work on both cards.
Was here
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

bharling wrote:Fantastic Work, 10 gold stars :)

- have integrated it into my app and looks loverly.

on my work 8500GT its around 130 fps, on my home X1650 its about 95 fps, but doesn't look as nice as it does on the NVIDIA card ( lots of aliasing around the shadow boundaries ). I guess that issue has been covered a lot in this and related threads though! C'mon ATI - sort it out!

Both OGL and D3D seem to work on both cards.
This should probably go in the discussion thread, but, I'll put it here - I have to probably update the demo to emulate bilinear filtering for AMD cards. NVidia cards support bilinear filtering on floating point textures since the 6000 series; yet, AMD, on the other hand, seems to only support it on the HD2000 series and up.
Samuelgames
Gnoblar

Post by Samuelgames »

Haha, nice one Null, you did well making your soft shadows with Spot Light, and hey, self shadowing, well done :)
bharling
Gremlin

Post by bharling »

I found this implementation of gpu bilinear filtering, will try and integrate it into your shader, I dont think it'll be too difficult.
http://www.ozone3d.net/tutorials/glsl_ ... ng_p02.php

trobule is, I'm on my NVIDIA machine a the moment, so need to wait until I get home before seeing any results ...
Was here
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

bharling wrote:I found this implementation of gpu bilinear filtering, will try and integrate it into your shader, I dont think it'll be too difficult.
http://www.ozone3d.net/tutorials/glsl_ ... ng_p02.php

trobule is, I'm on my NVIDIA machine a the moment, so need to wait until I get home before seeing any results ...
Oh, neat. Thanks for the find! I can integrate that, no worries - there's a bit more to it than just the shaders being edited because first we want to detect whether the card is an AMD or NVidia. That's why I put the demo as 99% percent done, not 100% ;). I think I'm also going to fix the demo up a bit to not blow up on low end cards, and use regular shadow mapping instead.
Praetor
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by Praetor »

The GPU render caps tell you whether the card is ATI or nvidia. Shouldn't be hard to use a define or swap a shader based on that value.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Praetor wrote:The GPU render caps tell you whether the card is ATI or nvidia. Shouldn't be hard to use a define or swap a shader based on that value.
Yep - only in Shoggoth though. RenderSystemCapabilities::getVendor is the magic function. I really wanted to put something in to detect major card generations too, but it gets really fiddly - lots of deviceIDs that aren't always sequential on D3D, and horrid text matching in GL.
DaCracker
Gremlin

Post by DaCracker »

Looks great, well done man! :D
----------------------------------------------------
DaCracker's Common Lib:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dacrackerslib/
ENGine
Goblin

Post by ENGine »

Seregvan
Gremlin

Post by Seregvan »

looks nice =)
nullsquared
Old One

Post by nullsquared »

Is that this shadow mapping implemented into your game/project? Looks really cool! :D
ENGine
Goblin

Post by ENGine »

thanks =) Yes it's screens from my project.
Romz
Gnoblar

Post by Romz »

Really nice!

I made a quick test (1 directionnal that doesn't make shadows, and 2 spotlights) and here is what I got:

Why is the shadow darker on some cube faces than on the ground ?

Another thing is that, when I'm moving the light (every frames), the shadow is making waves :( And on the 2nd screenshot you can see that, I have only cubes and I got a weird round shadow corner (the ones projected on the facing cubes). I think there is a relation ...

Anyway this is really nice, but if you have any idea to improve it (or solve my issues), then ... :P
ScurvyKnave
Gremlin

Post by ScurvyKnave »

:lol:

The comments in the code crack me up.
// stupid constructor.
// tell the window it's active (duh, rofl)