[Solved] Crashing with Radeon 9200 + OpenGL + Windows XP

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
xmt
Gnoblar

[Solved] Crashing with Radeon 9200 + OpenGL + Windows XP

Post by xmt »

[SOLVED]: Issue has been fixed in the latest 1.6 svn.

hey,

i'm using windows xp sp3, codeblocks 8.02, mingw, and the prebuilt ogre1.6rc1 sdk.

i've got the sample applications compiled, and they all seem to run fine when i choose to use the directx render system, but they all crash immediately with the "xxx has encountered a problem and needs to close" dialog when i try to use opengl.

here are the two ogre.logs:

directx: http://rafb.net/p/B5Nf8O24.html (works)
opengl: http://rafb.net/p/RCPqwZ93.html

i've tried messing around with some of the options, eg. fullscreen yes/no, vsync yes/no, resolution etc. but to no avail.

i ran it through the codeblocks debugger, here is the codeblock log output:

Code: Select all

Building to ensure sources are up-to-date
Build succeeded
Selecting target: 
Release
Adding source dir: E:\OgreSDK\samples\scripts\
Adding source dir: E:\OgreSDK\samples\
Changing directory to: ../../bin/Release
Adding file: ..\..\bin\Release\Demo_Fresnel.exe
Starting debugger: 
done
Registered new type: wxString
Registered new type: STL String
Registered new type: STL Vector
Setting breakpoints
(no debugging symbols found)
Debugger name and version: GNU gdb 6.3
Child process PID: 3524
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
In ?? () from ()
Continuing...
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
In ?? () from ()
Continuing...
Program exited with code 030000000005.
Debugger finished with status 0
also, i took a screenshot of the callstack:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/ ... lstack.jpg

my card is an ati radeon 9250pro (yeah, i know i know...) and i'm using the catalyst 6.11 drivers. ati say these are the most recent drivers to include support for my card.

more info from the catalyst control centre:

Driver Packaging Version	8.252-060503a-038185C-ATI	
CATALYST® Version	06.11	
Provider	ATI Technologies Inc.	
2D Driver Version	6.14.10.6614	
2D Driver File Path	System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Video\{271C6020-086D-4A4D-9C89-8DB7A6B2340C}\0000	
Direct3D Version	6.14.10.0399	
OpenGL Version	6.14.10.5819	
CATALYST® Control Center Version	1.2.2314.20337	
AIW/VIVO WDM Driver Version	6.14.10.6238	
AIW/VIVO WDM SP Driver Version	6.14.10.6238	
anything else you guys need?
does anyone know how to go about sorting this out?

thanks
Mark

EDIT:

just to clarify some things:

all the samples work fine on this computer under linux, so it isn't a problem with my card. although it may be related to the windows drivers.

however there doesn't seem to be a problem with opengl or the drivers, since i can sucessfully compile & run simple opengl programs, such as the sample opengl project that comes with codeblocks and the nehe tutorials.

thanks to camidoo who helped me on irc, we got rid of the ogre errors by removing the ParticleGS files; but that didn't improve the situation.

i tried to step through the code line by line to find where exactly it crashes, however i can't run the demos in debug mode due to a missing directx dll. i shall endeavour to get that fixed and report back.

EDIT2:

i've managed to reproduce this on a source build with debugging enabled, please see my posts further down... http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 851#310402

thanks
Last edited by xmt on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
misterice
Kobold

Post by misterice »

I had exactly the same crash with opengl the last time I tried it on my old computer with a Radeon 9200, but since the Ogre version I used was Shoggoth from SVN, I didn't give much thought about it.

I remember the demos ran fine on that card & gl with Ogre 1.4 (or 1.2, I don't remember...)
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

misterice, thanks for the tip, i can confirm that everything works fine using the 1.4.9 prebuilt sdk (OGRE 1.4.9 SDK for Code::Blocks + MinGW C++ Toolbox)

perhaps this is a bug with 1.6?

i tried to step through the 1.6 code in the codeblocks debugger, after getting the directx sdk, but i couldn't get very far, i suspect because the sdk doesn't include the ogre source. i'm not experienced enough with vs or codeblocks to be able to build the sdk on windows from source. however the callstack i posted in my first post should give an idea of where the problem is. i can try compiling the source if it would help anyone track down the issue.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Later Radeons are fine, this must be a specific problem with the 9200. It appears it doesn't like the point parameters being set; however the code for this is absolutely no different between 1.4 and 1.6.

I really need to know exactly where in the routine this is failing, and some more detail about the state at the time. This will require a source build - it's really not that hard to do.
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

hey, thanks for the reply sinbad, i've been trying all afternoon to get ogre1.6 compiled. it's proving rather difficult. I kept getting link errors such as:

-------------- Build: Debug in OgreMain ---------------
Linking dynamic library: ..\..\lib\OgreMain_d.dll
..\obj\Debug\src\OgreAnimable.o: In function `ZNK4Ogre7Vector33ptrEv':
E:/ogre/OgreMain/scripts/../include/OgreAnimable.h:(.text$_ZN4Ogre13AnimableValueD0Ev[Ogre::AnimableValue::~AnimableValue()]+0x2d): undefined reference to `Ogre::AllocatedObject<Ogre::CategorisedAllocPolicy<(Ogre::MemoryCategory)2> >::operator delete(void*)'
i've solved this by adding the files OgreMemoryAllocatedObject.cpp and OgreScriptTranslator.cpp to the OgreMain project. Some of the other plugin projects need the memory allocator cpp added too. not sure if i've just screwed up or if the codeblocks workspace is out of date.

anyway i'm still working my way through the projects trying to get each to compile. what kind of state information do you need, once i get everything compiled? eg, values of all local variables?

EDIT:

i just can't get the gl rendersystem to link.

Linking dynamic library: ..\..\..\lib\RenderSystem_GL_d.dll
[snip]
..\obj\Debug\RenderSystems\GL\src\OgreGLRenderToVertexBuffer.o: In function `ZN4Ogre22GLRenderToVertexBufferC2Ev':
E:/ogre/RenderSystems/GL/src/OgreGLRenderToVertexBuffer.cpp:110: undefined reference to `Ogre::RenderToVertexBuffer::RenderToVertexBuffer()'
ideas?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Ah yes, sorry the Code::Blocks projects were updated after RC1 (I don't use it). If you get the latest from the SVN 'v1-6' branch they should be updated.

To fix the GL problem though you just need to add the OgreRenderToVertexBuffer.cpp to the OgreMain project.
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

the v1-6 branch from svn is better, thanks. i've got everything to build except the RenderSystem_Direct3D9.

although, i had to add \RenderSystems\GL\src\OgreGLRenderToVertexBuffer.cpp to the RenderSystem_GL project in order to get the opengl rendersystem to link.

i need to get the directx system to compile since the demo projects depend on them. it gives some strange error relating to hashmaps:

D:\code\ogre\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\OgreD3D9TextureManager.cpp:76:   instantiated from here
E:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/ext/hashtable.h:518: error: no match for call to `(const __gnu_cxx::hash<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>) (Ogre::D3D9Texture* const&)'
full error (i think): http://rafb.net/p/IKwcmf92.html

that doesn't mean anything to me. :?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Please post inline, the paste has been purged from rafb already.
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

ok, here is the whole build log:

-------------- Build: Debug in RenderSystem_Direct3D9 ---------------

Compiling: ..\src\OgreD3D9TextureManager.cpp
In file included from ../../../OgreMain/include/OgreMemoryAllocatorConfig.h:189,
                 from ../../../OgreMain/include/OgrePrerequisites.h:409,
                 from ../include/OgreD3D9Prerequisites.h:32,
                 from ../include/OgreD3D9TextureManager.h:32,
                 from D:\code\ogre\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\OgreD3D9TextureManager.cpp:29:
../../../OgreMain/include/OgreMemoryStdAlloc.h: In static member function `static void* Ogre::StdAlignedAllocPolicy<Alignment>::allocateBytes(size_t, const char*, int, const char*)':
../../../OgreMain/include/OgreMemoryStdAlloc.h:115: warning: statement has no effect
../../../OgreMain/include/OgreMemoryStdAlloc.h:115: warning: statement has no effect
In file included from E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3d9.h:211,
                 from ../include/OgreD3D9Prerequisites.h:45,
                 from D:\code\ogre\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\OgreD3D9TextureManager.cpp:29:
E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3d9types.h: At global scope:
E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3d9types.h:25: warning: ignoring #pragma warning 
E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3d9types.h:1850: warning: ignoring #pragma warning 
In file included from E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3dx9.h:47,
                 from ../include/OgreD3D9Prerequisites.h:46,
E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3dx9math.h:19: warning: ignoring #pragma warning 
In file included from E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3dx9.h:47,
E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3dx9math.h:1761: warning: ignoring #pragma warning 
In file included from E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3dx9.h:48,
E:/Program Files/Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2006)//Include/d3dx9core.h:664:1: warning: multi-line comment
E:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/ext/hashtable.h: In member function `size_t __gnu_cxx::hashtable<_Val, _Key, _HashFcn, _ExtractKey, _EqualKey, _Alloc>::_M_bkt_num_key(const _Key&, size_t) const [with _Val = Ogre::D3D9Texture*, _Key = Ogre::D3D9Texture*, _HashFcn = __gnu_cxx::hash<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _ExtractKey = std::_Identity<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _EqualKey = std::equal_to<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _Alloc = std::allocator<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>]':
E:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/ext/hashtable.h:508:   instantiated from `size_t __gnu_cxx::hashtable<_Val, _Key, _HashFcn, _ExtractKey, _EqualKey, _Alloc>::_M_bkt_num_key(const _Key&) const [with _Val = Ogre::D3D9Texture*, _Key = Ogre::D3D9Texture*, _HashFcn = __gnu_cxx::hash<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _ExtractKey = std::_Identity<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _EqualKey = std::equal_to<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _Alloc = std::allocator<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>]'
E:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/ext/hashtable.h:513:   instantiated from `size_t __gnu_cxx::hashtable<_Val, _Key, _HashFcn, _ExtractKey, _EqualKey, _Alloc>::_M_bkt_num(const _Val&) const [with _Val = Ogre::D3D9Texture*, _Key = Ogre::D3D9Texture*, _HashFcn = __gnu_cxx::hash<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _ExtractKey = std::_Identity<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _EqualKey = std::equal_to<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _Alloc = std::allocator<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>]'
E:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/ext/hashtable.h:587:   instantiated from `__gnu_cxx::_Hashtable_const_iterator<_Val, _Key, _HashFcn, _ExtractKey, _EqualKey, _Alloc>& __gnu_cxx::_Hashtable_const_iterator<_Val, _Key, _HashFcn, _ExtractKey, _EqualKey, _Alloc>::operator++() [with _Val = Ogre::D3D9Texture*, _Key = Ogre::D3D9Texture*, _HashFcn = __gnu_cxx::hash<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _ExtractKey = std::_Identity<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _EqualKey = std::equal_to<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>, _Alloc = std::allocator<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>]'
D:\code\ogre\ogre\RenderSystems\Direct3D9\src\OgreD3D9TextureManager.cpp:76:   instantiated from here
E:/MinGW/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/3.4.5/../../../../include/c++/3.4.5/ext/hashtable.h:518: error: no match for call to `(const __gnu_cxx::hash<Ogre::D3D9Texture*>) (Ogre::D3D9Texture* const&)'
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 5 seconds)
1 errors, 8 warnings
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Hmm, strange - I'm surprised florian hasn't come across this. I don't use MinGW myself, we could probably add a custom hash function in there but I'd rather florian looked at it since he's the MinGW guy. My guess would be an old MinGW version perhaps - gcc 3.4 seems very old.

Actually, skip this. Just comment out the Dx9 plugin from plugins.cfg for now so you can get to recreating the runtime error in GL, that's the really important bit for now.
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

i can't build any of the sample apps without the direct3d render system.

i think it must be the way the codeblocks workspace is set up but the demos appear to depend on the d3d rendersystem.

when i try to build a sample, it will start trying to build the d3d rendersystem and hit that error.

EDIT: i've had a look around in the project options and there doesn't appear to be an obvious way to overrule this behaviour (i am no codeblocks expert).

also i'm pretty sure i have the latest mingw release. i'm using the MinGW-5.1.4 automated installer.
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

*gentle bump*

how can i get in touch with florian, and bring this to their attention?
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Make sure you're using the MinGW toolbox, not just the regular MinGW installer. This is discussed in the MinGW notes: http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Co ... _and_MinGW
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

hey,

i've just tried reinstalling mingw and the c++ toolbox and rebuilding the whole workspace, but i'm still getting the same error.

so no idea what the problem might be?

i think i'm going to install one of the free visual studios and try with that.
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

ok, i've managed to (finally) get a hold of visual studio 2005 professional (msdnaa ftw) and got 1.6RC1 compiled from source without any problems.

i'm getting the same opengl crash that i did with the precompiled sdk.

i'm not used to using visual studio so bear with me, but here is the callstack from when the demo crashes:

00000000()	
>	RenderSystem_GL_d.dll!Ogre::GLRenderSystem::_setPointParameters(float size=1.0000000, bool attenuationEnabled=false, float constant=1.0000000, float linear=0.00000000, float quadratic=0.00000000, float minSize=0.00000000, float maxSize=0.00000000)  Line 1283 + 0x11 bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::SceneManager::_setPass(const Ogre::Pass * pass=0x0dbea028, bool evenIfSuppressed=false, bool shadowDerivation=true)  Line 985 + 0x6b bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::SceneManager::BRAND NAME::visit(const Ogre::Pass * p=0x0dbea028)  Line 2670 + 0x20 bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::QueuedRenderableCollection::acceptVisitorGrouped(Ogre::BRAND NAME * visitor=0x00bc8ac8)  Line 421 + 0x1a bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::QueuedRenderableCollection::acceptVisitor(Ogre::BRAND NAME * visitor=0x00bc8ac8, Ogre::QueuedRenderableCollection::OrganisationMode om=OM_PASS_GROUP)  Line 399	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::SceneManager::renderObjects(const Ogre::QueuedRenderableCollection & objs={...}, Ogre::QueuedRenderableCollection::OrganisationMode om=OM_PASS_GROUP, bool lightScissoringClipping=true, bool doLightIteration=true, const std::vector<Ogre::Light *,std::allocator<Ogre::Light *> > * manualLightList=[...]())  Line 2750	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::SceneManager::renderBasicQueueGroupObjects(Ogre::RenderQueueGroup * pGroup=0x0eade080, Ogre::QueuedRenderableCollection::OrganisationMode om=OM_PASS_GROUP)  Line 2827 + 0x25 bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::SceneManager::_renderQueueGroupObjects(Ogre::RenderQueueGroup * pGroup=0x0eade080, Ogre::QueuedRenderableCollection::OrganisationMode om=OM_PASS_GROUP)  Line 2806 + 0x1a bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::SceneManager::renderVisibleObjectsDefaultSequence()  Line 2098 + 0x18 bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::SceneManager::_renderVisibleObjects()  Line 2020 + 0xf bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::SceneManager::_renderScene(Ogre::Camera * camera=0x00bce3b8, Ogre::Viewport * vp=0x0dbe98e8, bool includeOverlays=false)  Line 1344 + 0x12 bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::Camera::_renderScene(Ogre::Viewport * vp=0x0dbe98e8, bool includeOverlays=false)  Line 398 + 0x2c bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::Viewport::update()  Line 193	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::RenderTarget::updateImpl()  Line 114	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::RenderTarget::update(bool swap=false)  Line 501 + 0x12 bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::RenderSystem::_updateAllRenderTargets(bool swapBuffers=false)  Line 112 + 0x2a bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::Root::_updateAllRenderTargets()  Line 1124 + 0x1c bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::Root::renderOneFrame()  Line 839 + 0x8 bytes	C++
 	OgreMain_d.dll!Ogre::Root::startRendering()  Line 829 + 0x8 bytes	C++
 	Demo_Fresnel.exe!ExampleApplication::go()  Line 92 + 0xe bytes	C++
 	Demo_Fresnel.exe!WinMain(HINSTANCE__ * hInst=0x00400000, HINSTANCE__ * __formal=0x00000000, char * strCmdLine=0x00151f22, HINSTANCE__ * __formal=0x00000000)  Line 364 + 0x8 bytes	C++
 	Demo_Fresnel.exe!__tmainCRTStartup()  Line 589 + 0x35 bytes	C
 	Demo_Fresnel.exe!WinMainCRTStartup()  Line 414	C
 	kernel32.dll!7c817067() 	
 	[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for kernel32.dll]
here is the bit in OgreGLRenderSystem.cpp that vs is pointing me at:

// no scaling required
			// GL has no disabled flag for this so just set to constant
			glPointSize(size);

if (mCurrentCapabilities->hasCapability(RSC_POINT_EXTENDED_PARAMETERS))
			{
				float val[4] = {1, 0, 0, 1};
				glPointParameterfv(GL_POINT_DISTANCE_ATTENUATION, val);
				glPointParameterf(GL_POINT_SIZE_MIN, minSize);
				if (maxSize == 0.0f)
					maxSize = mCurrentCapabilities->getMaxPointSize();
				glPointParameterf(GL_POINT_SIZE_MAX, maxSize);
			}
		}
the line where it gets stuck is:

glPointParameterfv(GL_POINT_DISTANCE_ATTENUATION, val);
some values from the locals window:

+		val	0x0012e6c4	float [4]
-		this	0x00b800a8 {mStopRendering=true mLights=0x00b803e4 mViewMatrix={...} ...}	Ogre::GLRenderSystem * const
+		Ogre::RenderSystem	{mRenderTargets=[3](("OGRE Render Window",0x00b89fc8 {mGLSupport={...} mHWnd=0x0013095e mHDC=0x540119c9 ...}),("rtt/12447064/Refraction",0x00bdee58 {mManager=0x00bbd990 mPBFormat=PCT_BYTE }),("rtt/12558696/Reflection",0x00bfa268 {mManager=0x00bbd990 mPBFormat=PCT_BYTE })) mPrioritisedRenderTargets=[3](...) mActiveRenderTarget=0x00bdee58 ...}	Ogre::RenderSystem
		mStopRendering	true	bool
+		mLights	0x00b803e4	Ogre::Light * [8]
+		mViewMatrix	{m=0x00b80404 _m=0x00b80404 }	Ogre::Matrix4
+		mWorldMatrix	{m=0x00b80444 _m=0x00b80444 }	Ogre::Matrix4
+		mTextureMatrix	{m=0x00b80484 _m=0x00b80484 }	Ogre::Matrix4
		mMinFilter	FO_LINEAR	Ogre::FilterOptions
		mMipFilter	FO_POINT	Ogre::FilterOptions
+		mTextureCoordIndex	0x00b804cc	unsigned int [16]
+		mTextureTypes	0x00b8050c	unsigned int [16]
		mFixedFunctionTextureUnits	6	unsigned short
		mDepthWrite	true	bool
		mStencilMask	4294967295	unsigned int
+		mColourWrite	0x00b80554	bool [4]
+		mGLSupport	0x00b80620 {mDevModes=[38]({dmDeviceName=0x00b82910 "ATI2DVAG" dmSpecVersion=1025 dmDriverVersion=1025 ...},{dmDeviceName=0x00b829ac "ATI2DVAG" dmSpecVersion=1025 dmDriverVersion=1025 ...},{dmDeviceName=0x00b82a48 "ATI2DVAG" dmSpecVersion=1025 dmDriverVersion=1025 ...},{dmDeviceName=0x00b82ae4 "ATI2DVAG" dmSpecVersion=1025 dmDriverVersion=1025 ...},{dmDeviceName=0x00b82b80 "ATI2DVAG" dmSpecVersi 	Ogre::GLSupport *
		mUseAutoTextureMatrix	true	bool
+		mAutoTextureMatrix	0x00b80560	float [16]
		mGLInitialized	true	bool
+		mHardwareBufferManager	0x00bba528 {mScratchBufferPool=0x0d960060 "üÿ€" }	Ogre::HardwareBufferManager *
+		mGpuProgramManager	0x00bbd400 {mProgramMap=[5](...,...) }	Ogre::GLGpuProgramManager *
+		mGLSLProgramFactory	0x00000000 {mLinkProgramManager=??? }	Ogre::GLSLProgramFactory *
		mCurrentLights	0	unsigned short
+		mCurrentVertexProgram	0x00000000 {mProgramID=??? mProgramType=??? }	Ogre::GLGpuProgram *
+		mCurrentFragmentProgram	0x00000000 {mProgramID=??? mProgramType=??? }	Ogre::GLGpuProgram *
+		mCurrentGeometryProgram	0x00000000 {mProgramID=??? mProgramType=??? }	Ogre::GLGpuProgram *
+		mMainContext	0x00b7d7a0 {mHDC=0x540119c9 mGlrc=0x00020000 }	Ogre::GLContext *
+		mCurrentContext	0x00b7d7a0 {mHDC=0x540119c9 mGlrc=0x00020000 }	Ogre::GLContext *
		mBackgroundContextList	[0]()	std::list<Ogre::GLContext *,std::allocator<Ogre::GLContext *> >
+		mRTTManager	0x00bbd990 {mSupport=0x00b80620 mMainWindow=0x00b89fc8 mMainContext=0x00b7d7a0 ...}	Ogre::GLRTTManager *
		size	1.0000000	float
		attenuationEnabled	false	bool
		constant	1.0000000	float
		linear	0.00000000	float
		quadratic	0.00000000	float
		minSize	0.00000000	float
		maxSize	0.00000000	float
what else do you need me to provide?

thanks
Mark

EDIT: forgot to say, this is the (rather unhelpful) error vs comes up with when the crash happens:

Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in Demo_Fresnel.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
contents of output window:

'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\Demo_Fresnel.exe', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\OgreMain_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\user32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\gdi32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_5490cd9f\msvcp80d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_5490cd9f\msvcr80d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\msvcrt.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\OIS_d.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\dinput8.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\advapi32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\secur32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\imm32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\RenderSystem_Direct3D9_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d9.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\d3d8thk.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\version.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\winmm.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\d3dx9_30.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\RenderSystem_GL_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\opengl32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\glu32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\ddraw.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\dciman32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\msctf.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\msctfime.ime', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\ole32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\atioglxx.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\atioglx1.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\mcd32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Unloaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\mcd32.dll'
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\Plugin_ParticleFX_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\Plugin_BSPSceneManager_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\Plugin_CgProgramManager_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\cg.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\Plugin_PCZSceneManager_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\Plugin_OctreeZone_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'D:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\Samples\Common\bin\Debug\Plugin_OctreeSceneManager_d.dll', Symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\Program Files\allSnap\snap_libW.dll', Binary was not built with debug information.
First-chance exception at 0x7c812aeb in Demo_Fresnel.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: Ogre::InternalErrorException at memory location 0x0012a580..
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\hid.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\setupapi.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\wintrust.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\crypt32.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\msasn1.dll', No symbols loaded.
'Demo_Fresnel.exe': Loaded 'E:\WINDOWS\system32\imagehlp.dll', No symbols loaded.
First-chance exception at 0x7c812aeb in Demo_Fresnel.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: OIS::Exception at memory location 0x0012f560..
First-chance exception at 0x00000000 in Demo_Fresnel.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Unhandled exception at 0x00000000 in Demo_Fresnel.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
Ogre.log:

18:21:13: Creating resource group General
18:21:13: Creating resource group Internal
18:21:13: Creating resource group Autodetect
18:21:13: SceneManagerFactory for type 'DefaultSceneManager' registered.
18:21:13: Registering ResourceManager for type Material
18:21:13: Registering ResourceManager for type Mesh
18:21:13: Registering ResourceManager for type Skeleton
18:21:13: MovableObjectFactory for type 'ParticleSystem' registered.
18:21:13: OverlayElementFactory for type Panel registered.
18:21:13: OverlayElementFactory for type BorderPanel registered.
18:21:13: OverlayElementFactory for type TextArea registered.
18:21:13: Registering ResourceManager for type Font
18:21:13: ArchiveFactory for archive type FileSystem registered.
18:21:13: ArchiveFactory for archive type Zip registered.
18:21:13: FreeImage version: 3.10.0
18:21:13: This program uses FreeImage, a free, open source image library supporting all common bitmap formats. See http://freeimage.sourceforge.net for details
18:21:13: Supported formats: bmp,ico,jpg,jif,jpeg,jpe,jng,koa,iff,lbm,mng,pbm,pbm,pcd,pcx,pgm,pgm,
png,ppm,ppm,ras,tga,targa,tif,tiff,wap,wbmp,wbm,psd,cut,xbm,xpm,gif,hdr,g3,sgi,exr,j2k,j2c,jp2
18:21:13: DDS codec registering
18:21:13: Registering ResourceManager for type HighLevelGpuProgram
18:21:13: Registering ResourceManager for type Compositor
18:21:13: MovableObjectFactory for type 'Entity' registered.
18:21:13: MovableObjectFactory for type 'Light' registered.
18:21:13: MovableObjectFactory for type 'BillboardSet' registered.
18:21:13: MovableObjectFactory for type 'ManualObject' registered.
18:21:13: MovableObjectFactory for type 'BillboardChain' registered.
18:21:13: MovableObjectFactory for type 'RibbonTrail' registered.
18:21:13: Loading library .\RenderSystem_Direct3D9_d
18:21:13: Installing plugin: D3D9 RenderSystem
18:21:13: D3D9 : Direct3D9 Rendering Subsystem created.
18:21:13: D3D9: Driver Detection Starts
18:21:13: D3D9: Driver Detection Ends
18:21:13: Plugin successfully installed
18:21:13: Loading library .\RenderSystem_GL_d
18:21:14: Installing plugin: GL RenderSystem
18:21:14: OpenGL Rendering Subsystem created.
18:21:14: Plugin successfully installed
18:21:14: Loading library .\Plugin_ParticleFX_d
18:21:14: Installing plugin: ParticleFX
18:21:14: Particle Emitter Type 'Point' registered
18:21:14: Particle Emitter Type 'Box' registered
18:21:14: Particle Emitter Type 'Ellipsoid' registered
18:21:14: Particle Emitter Type 'Cylinder' registered
18:21:14: Particle Emitter Type 'Ring' registered
18:21:14: Particle Emitter Type 'HollowEllipsoid' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'LinearForce' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'ColourFader' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'ColourFader2' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'ColourImage' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'ColourInterpolator' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'Scaler' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'Rotator' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'DirectionRandomiser' registered
18:21:14: Particle Affector Type 'DeflectorPlane' registered
18:21:14: Loading library .\Plugin_BSPSceneManager_d
18:21:14: Installing plugin: BSP Scene Manager
18:21:14: Loading library .\Plugin_CgProgramManager_d
18:21:15: Installing plugin: Cg Program Manager
18:21:15: Plugin successfully installed
18:21:15: Loading library .\Plugin_PCZSceneManager_d.dll
18:21:15: Installing plugin: Portal Connected Zone Scene Manager
18:21:15: PCZone Factory Type 'ZoneType_Default' registered
18:21:15: Loading library .\Plugin_OctreeZone_d.dll
18:21:15: Installing plugin: Octree Zone Factory
18:21:15: Loading library .\Plugin_OctreeSceneManager_d
18:21:15: Installing plugin: Octree & Terrain Scene Manager
18:21:15: *-*-* OGRE Initialising
18:21:15: *-*-* Version 1.6.0RC1 (Shoggoth)
18:21:15: Creating resource group Bootstrap
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/OgreCore.zip' of type 'Zip' to resource group 'Bootstrap'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/fonts' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/materials/programs' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/materials/scripts' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/materials/textures' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/models' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/overlays' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/particle' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/gui' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:15: Added resource location '../../../Media/DeferredShadingMedia' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:16: Added resource location '../../../Media/PCZAppMedia' of type 'FileSystem' to resource group 'General'
18:21:16: Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/cubemap.zip' of type 'Zip' to resource group 'General'
18:21:16: Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/cubemapsJS.zip' of type 'Zip' to resource group 'General'
18:21:16: Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/dragon.zip' of type 'Zip' to resource group 'General'
18:21:16: Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/fresneldemo.zip' of type 'Zip' to resource group 'General'
18:21:16: Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/ogretestmap.zip' of type 'Zip' to resource group 'General'
18:21:16: Added resource location '../../../Media/packs/skybox.zip' of type 'Zip' to resource group 'General'
18:21:16: D3D9 : RenderSystem Option: Allow NVPerfHUD = No
18:21:16: D3D9 : RenderSystem Option: Anti aliasing = None
18:21:16: D3D9 : RenderSystem Option: Floating-point mode = Fastest
18:21:16: D3D9 : RenderSystem Option: Full Screen = Yes
18:21:16: D3D9 : RenderSystem Option: Rendering Device = RADEON 9250
18:21:16: D3D9 : RenderSystem Option: VSync = No
18:21:16: D3D9 : RenderSystem Option: Video Mode = 800 x 600 @ 32-bit colour
18:21:16: D3D9 : RenderSystem Option: sRGB Gamma Conversion = No
18:21:17: CPU Identifier & Features
18:21:17: -------------------------
18:21:17:  *   CPU ID: AuthenticAMD: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
18:21:17:  *      SSE: yes
18:21:17:  *     SSE2: yes
18:21:17:  *     SSE3: no
18:21:17:  *      MMX: yes
18:21:17:  *   MMXEXT: yes
18:21:17:  *    3DNOW: yes
18:21:17:  * 3DNOWEXT: yes
18:21:17:  *     CMOV: yes
18:21:17:  *      TSC: yes
18:21:17:  *      FPU: yes
18:21:17:  *      PRO: yes
18:21:17:  *       HT: no
18:21:17: *** Starting Win32GL Subsystem ***
18:21:17: GLRenderSystem::_createRenderWindow "OGRE Render Window", 1024x768 windowed  miscParams: FSAA=0 colourDepth=32 displayFrequency=0 gamma=false vsync=false 
18:21:17: Created Win32Window 'OGRE Render Window' : 1024x768, 32bpp
18:21:17: GL_VERSION = 1.3.1072 WinXP Release
18:21:17: GL_VENDOR = ATI Technologies Inc.
18:21:17: GL_RENDERER = RADEON 9200 Series DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2
18:21:17: GL_EXTENSIONS = GL_ARB_multitexture GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_S3_s3tc GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_element_array GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_map_object_buffer GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ATI_vertex_array_object GL_ATI_vertex_attrib_array_object GL_ATI_vertex_streams GL_ATIX_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATIX_texture_env_route GL_ATIX_vertex_shader_output_point_size GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_EXT_vertex_shader GL_HP_occlusion_test GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_multitexture GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_EXT_swap_control 
18:21:17: Supported WGL extensions: WGL_ARB_extensions_string WGL_ARB_make_current_read WGL_ARB_pbuffer WGL_ARB_pixel_format WGL_ARB_render_texture WGL_EXT_extensions_string WGL_EXT_swap_control 
18:21:17: ***************************
18:21:17: *** GL Renderer Started ***
18:21:17: ***************************
18:21:17: Registering ResourceManager for type GpuProgram
18:21:17: GL: Using PBuffers for rendering to textures
18:21:17: RenderSystem capabilities
18:21:17: RenderSystem Name: OpenGL Rendering Subsystem
18:21:17: GPU Vendor: ati
18:21:17: Device Name: RADEON 9200 Series DDR x86/MMX/3DNow!/SSE2
18:21:17: Driver Version: 1.3.1072.0
18:21:17:  * Fixed function pipeline: yes
18:21:17:  * Hardware generation of mipmaps: yes
18:21:17:  * Texture blending: yes
18:21:17:  * Anisotropic texture filtering: yes
18:21:17:  * Dot product texture operation: yes
18:21:17:  * Cube mapping: yes
18:21:17:  * Hardware stencil buffer: yes
18:21:17:    - Stencil depth: 8
18:21:17:    - Two sided stencil support: no
18:21:17:    - Wrap stencil values: yes
18:21:17:  * Hardware vertex / index buffers: yes
18:21:17:  * Vertex programs: yes
18:21:17:  * Fragment programs: yes
18:21:17:  * Geometry programs: no
18:21:17:  * Supported Shader Profiles: arbvp1 ps_1_1 ps_1_2 ps_1_3 ps_1_4
18:21:17:  * Texture Compression: yes
18:21:17:    - DXT: yes
18:21:17:    - VTC: no
18:21:17:  * Scissor Rectangle: yes
18:21:17:  * Hardware Occlusion Query: yes
18:21:17:  * User clip planes: yes
18:21:17:  * VET_UBYTE4 vertex element type: yes
18:21:17:  * Infinite far plane projection: yes
18:21:17:  * Hardware render-to-texture: yes
18:21:17:  * Floating point textures: no
18:21:17:  * Non-power-of-two textures: no
18:21:17:  * Volume textures: yes
18:21:17:  * Multiple Render Targets: 1
18:21:17:    - With different bit depths: no
18:21:17:  * Point Sprites: no
18:21:17:  * Extended point parameters: yes
18:21:17:  * Max Point Size: 2047
18:21:17:  * Vertex texture fetch: no
18:21:17:  * Render to Vertex Buffer : no
18:21:17:  * GL 1.5 without VBO workaround: no
18:21:17:  * Frame Buffer objects: no
18:21:17:  * Frame Buffer objects (ARB extension): no
18:21:17:  * Frame Buffer objects (ATI extension): no
18:21:17:  * PBuffer suppport: yes
18:21:17:  * GL 1.5 without HW-occlusion workaround: no
18:21:17: Registering ResourceManager for type Texture
18:21:17: ResourceBackgroundQueue - threading disabled
18:21:17: Particle Renderer Type 'billboard' registered
18:21:17: SceneManagerFactory for type 'BspSceneManager' registered.
18:21:17: Registering ResourceManager for type BspLevel
18:21:17: SceneManagerFactory for type 'PCZSceneManager' registered.
18:21:17: MovableObjectFactory for type 'PCZLight' registered.
18:21:17: PCZone Factory Type 'ZoneType_Octree' registered
18:21:17: PCZone Factory Type 'ZoneType_Terrain' registered
18:21:17: SceneManagerFactory for type 'OctreeSceneManager' registered.
18:21:17: SceneManagerFactory for type 'TerrainSceneManager' registered.
18:21:17: Parsing scripts for resource group Autodetect
18:21:17: Finished parsing scripts for resource group Autodetect
18:21:17: Parsing scripts for resource group Bootstrap
18:21:17: Parsing script OgreCore.material
18:21:17: Parsing script OgreProfiler.material
18:21:17: Parsing script Ogre.fontdef
18:21:17: Parsing script OgreDebugPanel.overlay
18:21:17: Texture: New_Ogre_Border_Center.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,256x128x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,256x128x1.
18:21:17: Texture: New_Ogre_Border.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:17: Texture: New_Ogre_Border_Break.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,32x32x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,32x32x1.
18:21:17: Font BlueHighwayusing texture size 512x512
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 127 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 128 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 129 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 130 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 131 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 132 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 133 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 134 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 135 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 136 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 137 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 138 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 139 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 140 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 141 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 142 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 143 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 144 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 145 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 146 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 147 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 148 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 149 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 150 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 151 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 152 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 153 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 154 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 155 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 156 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 157 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 158 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 159 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Info: Freetype returned null for character 160 in font BlueHighway
18:21:18: Texture: BlueHighwayTexture: Loading 1 faces(PF_BYTE_LA,512x512x1) with  hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_BYTE_LA,512x512x1.
18:21:18: Texture: ogretext.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,256x128x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,256x128x1.
18:21:18: Parsing script OgreLoadingPanel.overlay
18:21:18: Finished parsing scripts for resource group Bootstrap
18:21:18: Parsing scripts for resource group General
18:21:18: Parsing script Examples.program
18:21:18: Parsing script StdQuad_vp.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred.glsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred.hlsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_ambient.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_debug.glsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_debug.hlsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_debug.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_minilight.glsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_minilight.hlsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_minilight.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_multipass.glsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_multipass.hlsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_onepass.glsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_onepass.hlsl.program
18:21:18: Parsing script deferred_post_vs.program
18:21:18: Parsing script ASCII.material
18:21:18: Parsing script ASMSwizzle.material
18:21:18: Compiler error: object unsupported by render system in ASMSwizzle.material(1)
18:21:18: Parsing script BlackAndWhite.material
18:21:18: Parsing script Bloom.material
18:21:18: Parsing script Bloom2.material
18:21:18: Parsing script CGSwizzle.material
18:21:18: Parsing script DepthShadowmap.material
18:21:18: Parsing script Dither.material
18:21:18: Parsing script DOF.material
18:21:18: Parsing script Embossed.material
18:21:18: Parsing script Example-DynTex.material
18:21:18: Parsing script Example-Water.material
18:21:19: Parsing script Example.material
18:21:19: Parsing script Examples-Advanced.material
18:21:19: Parsing script facial.material
18:21:19: Parsing script Glass.material
18:21:19: Parsing script GLSLSwizzle.material
18:21:19: Parsing script Halftone.material
18:21:19: Parsing script hdr.material
18:21:20: Parsing script HeatVision.material
18:21:20: Parsing script Hurt.material
18:21:20: Parsing script instancing.material
18:21:20: Parsing script Invert.material
18:21:20: Parsing script IsoSurf.material
18:21:20: Parsing script Laplace.material
18:21:20: Parsing script MotionBlur.material
18:21:20: Parsing script MRTtest.material
18:21:20: Parsing script NightVision.material
18:21:20: Parsing script Ocean.material
18:21:20: Parsing script OffsetMapping.material
18:21:20: Parsing script Ogre.material
18:21:20: Parsing script OldMovie.material
18:21:20: Parsing script OldTV.material
18:21:20: Parsing script ParticleGS.material
18:21:20: OGRE EXCEPTION(7:InternalErrorException): Unable to compile Cg program Ogre/ParticleGS/DisplayPS: CG ERROR : The compile returned an error.
(323) : fatal error C9999: unexpected cast operation
 in CgProgram::loadFromSource at d:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\plugins\cgprogrammanager\src\ogrecgprogrammanagerdll.cpp (line 66)
18:21:20: High-level program Ogre/ParticleGS/DisplayPS encountered an error during loading and is thus not supported.
OGRE EXCEPTION(7:InternalErrorException): Unable to compile Cg program Ogre/ParticleGS/DisplayPS: CG ERROR : The compile returned an error.
(323) : fatal error C9999: unexpected cast operation
 in CgProgram::loadFromSource at d:\code\ogre\ogre-vs8\plugins\cgprogrammanager\src\ogrecgprogrammanagerdll.cpp (line 66)
18:21:20: Parsing script Posterize.material
18:21:20: Parsing script pssm.material
18:21:20: Parsing script RadialBlur.material
18:21:20: Parsing script RZR-002.material
18:21:20: Parsing script SharpenEdges.material
18:21:20: Parsing script smoke.material
18:21:20: Parsing script Tiling.material
18:21:20: Parsing script VarianceShadowmap.material
18:21:20: Parsing script deferred.material
18:21:20: Parsing script deferreddemo.material
18:21:21: Parsing script deferred_post_ambient.material
18:21:21: Parsing script deferred_post_debug.material
18:21:21: Parsing script deferred_post_minilight.material
18:21:21: Parsing script deferred_post_multipass.material
18:21:21: Parsing script deferred_post_onepass.material
18:21:21: Parsing script ROOM.material
18:21:21: Parsing script RomanBath.material
18:21:21: Parsing script emitted_emitter.particle
18:21:21: Parsing script Example-Water.particle
18:21:21: Parsing script Example.particle
18:21:21: Parsing script smoke.particle
18:21:21: Parsing script Examples.compositor
18:21:21: Parsing script deferred.compositor
18:21:21: Parsing script sample.fontdef
18:21:21: Parsing script Compositor.overlay
18:21:21: Parsing script DP3.overlay
18:21:21: Parsing script Example-CubeMapping.overlay
18:21:21: Parsing script Example-DynTex.overlay
18:21:21: Parsing script Example-Water.overlay
18:21:21: Parsing script Shadows.overlay
18:21:21: Finished parsing scripts for resource group General
18:21:21: Parsing scripts for resource group Internal
18:21:21: Finished parsing scripts for resource group Internal
18:21:21:  Win32PBuffer::Creating PBuffer of format bits=8 float=false
18:21:21:  Win32PBuffer::PBuffer -- Chosen pixel format rgba=8,8,8,8 depth=24 stencil=8
18:21:21: Win32RenderTexture::PBuffer created -- Real dimensions 512x512
18:21:21: Texture: perlinvolume.dds: Loading 1 faces(PF_L8,128x128x128) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_L8,128x128x128.
18:21:22: Texture: cloudy_noon_fr.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:22: Texture: cloudy_noon_bk.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:22: Texture: cloudy_noon_lf.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:22: Texture: cloudy_noon_rt.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:22: Texture: cloudy_noon_up.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:22: Texture: cloudy_noon_dn.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:22: Mesh: Loading RomanBathUpper.mesh.
18:21:22: Texture: RomanBathLightingMap.dds: Loading 1 faces(PF_DXT1,2048x2048x1) with  hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_DXT1,2048x2048x1.
18:21:22: Texture: marble1.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x256x1.
18:21:22: Texture: stone1.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:22: Texture: cfloor.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:22: Texture: wall3.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:23: Texture: bluetile.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_0.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_1.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_2.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_3.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_4.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_5.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_6.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_7.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_8.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_9.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_10.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_11.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_12.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_13.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_14.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_15.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_16.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_17.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_18.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_19.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_20.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_21.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_22.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_23.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_24.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_25.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_26.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_27.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_28.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_29.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_30.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: caustic_31.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: skirting.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x128x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x128x1.
18:21:23: Mesh: Loading Columns.mesh.
18:21:23: Texture: marble3.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_A8R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_A8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:23: Texture: RomanBathColumnsLightingMap.dds: Loading 1 faces(PF_DXT1,1024x1024x1) with  hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_DXT1,1024x1024x1.
18:21:23: Mesh: Loading ogrehead.mesh.
18:21:23: Texture: WeirdEye.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: GreenSkin.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: spheremap.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:23: Texture: dirt01.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,96x96x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,128x128x1.
18:21:23: Mesh: Loading RomanBathLower.mesh.
18:21:24: Texture: marble2.jpg: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,512x512x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,512x512x1.
18:21:24: Mesh: Loading fish.mesh.
18:21:24: Skeleton: Loading fish.skeleton
18:21:24: Texture: steelhead.png: Loading 1 faces(PF_R8G8B8,256x256x1) with 5 hardware generated mipmaps from Image. Internal format is PF_X8R8G8B8,256x256x1.
18:21:24: WARNING: the mesh 'fish.mesh' includes vertices without bone assignments. Those vertices will transform to wrong position when skeletal animation enabled. To eliminate this, assign at least one bone assignment per vertex on your mesh.
18:21:24: *** Initializing OIS ***
it ends abruptly there.
adimirea
Gnoblar

Post by adimirea »

xmt wrote:hey,

I've just tried reinstalling mingw and the c++ toolbox and rebuilding the whole workspace, but i'm still getting the same error.

so no idea what the problem might be?

i think i'm going to install one of the free visual studios and try with that.
Hey, if you don't really care about Direct3D rendering and just want to compile the demos using OpenGL, you can do this (assuming that you are using code::blocks)

Select the demo you want to Build -> Properties -> Project depencencies and REMOVE RenderSystem_Direct3D9.
(Otherwise, regardless of the IDE or Compiler, remove the dependency; this might involve a little makefile editing :D)

The project should build just fine now (assuming that the OpenGL RenderSystem is corectly built), however I do get some really strange runtime errors.

Apparently in the latest SVN, there are some More plugins NOT directly included into the workspace, but which are required by the demos at runtime, like:

Plugin_PCZSceneManager
Plugin_OctreeZone
<maybe others>
(i am currently working on fixing runtime errors, and am completely stubborn NOT to use the prebuilt SDK :D )

Check out this thread:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 6f4e2718c6

EDIT:
Just figured out how to fix runtime errors (and a strange openGL crash that I was getting)

You can simply remove the two plugins above, just like you (supossedly) did when you removed DirectX rendering

Edit Samples/Common/bin/Release/Plugins.cfg and comment the Plugin_PCZSceneManager and Plugin_OctreeZone. The file should look like this.

# Defines plugins to load

# Define plugin folder
PluginFolder=.

# Define plugins
# Plugin=RenderSystem_Direct3D9
Plugin=RenderSystem_GL
Plugin=Plugin_ParticleFX
Plugin=Plugin_BSPSceneManager
Plugin=Plugin_CgProgramManager
#Plugin=Plugin_PCZSceneManager.dll
#Plugin=Plugin_OctreeZone.dll
Plugin=Plugin_OctreeSceneManager

This should build the engine and all demos, however it would be nice to build Direct3D and the two plugins also.

[/code]
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

adimirea wrote:if you don't really care about Direct3D rendering and just want to compile the demos using OpenGL, you can do this (assuming that you are using code::blocks)

Select the demo you want to Build -> Properties -> Project depencencies and REMOVE RenderSystem_Direct3D9.
ah, nice one. i did try looking for where codeblocks had the dependencies listed but i couldn't find it.

i don't care about directx at all, since i'm building a cross-platform game it'll be opengl all the way! ;)

anyway thanks for the tip, i've been able to get some demos to build, and i've been able to reproduce the crash i've been getting with the SDK and in visual studio. i need a dev to take a look at all the info i posted earlier now and lemme know what the next step is.

Mark
ulfben
Gnoblar

Post by ulfben »

xmt wrote:[...] i need to get the directx system to compile[...] it gives some strange error relating to hashmaps:

[...]
Quotebump for great justice. :)

Same setup here: XP SP3, CodeBlocks 8.02 (with the mingw bundle), Ogre trunk from SVN (and the suitable precompiled dependencies). OgreMain builds fine, but RenderSystem_Direct3D9 fails with this same error. Using the DirectX SDK August 08, if that's of any consequence.

My full build log here.
i had to add \RenderSystems\GL\src\OgreGLRenderToVertexBuffer.cpp to the RenderSystem_GL project in order to get the opengl rendersystem to link.
This was true for me too.
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

glad i'm not the only person who encountered that error. however i haven't been able to come up with any solutions for it.

however, your two options to work around it are:
a) use visual studio to build ogre instead
b) forget directx and use opengl. if you want to build the demos you'll need to tell codeblocks that the directx rendersytem isn't a dependency. (see above posts)

sinbad has said that he thinks it might be a problem with the old version of gcc mingw uses, so you could try compiling your own up to date gcc and g++ for mingw. if you go that route remember to configure the custom libstdc++ as per the ogre mingw c++ toolbox version.

Mark
mccleive
Gnoblar

Post by mccleive »

Just adding that I have the same error related to Direct3D9. For now, I'll stick with option b) forget directx and use opengl.
xmt
Gnoblar

Post by xmt »

it seems i've managed to end up with two different topics in one here, whoops :)

i think we should move discussion about the codeblocks issues with 1.6 to the thread started by calsmurf2904: http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44736

please keep discussion here related to the crashing issue with 1.6, opengl, and radeon 9250s, thanks.

if anyone else has a radeon 9200 series card, i would appreciate it if you could check in with your experiences!

gentle _poke_ towards sinbad and the other ogre developers*: does my debugging output mean anything to you guys, or is there more information that i should be providing? i realise there isn't much here to go on.

Mark

*or indeed anyone who is experienced with the ogre internals/opengl rendersystem.
Flix01
Gnoblar

Post by Flix01 »

if anyone else has a radeon 9200 series card, i would appreciate it if you could check in with your experiences!
I just wanted to confirm that the OpenGL plugin does not work on my ATI Radeon 9200 graphic card (SAPPHIRE RADEON 9200SE ATLANTIS) in Ogre 1.6, while it worked in Ogre 1.4.
I'm using the Direct3D9 plugin for now.

Hope it helps.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

Note to others: just saying 'it doesn't work' doesn't actually help ;)

@xmt: your debugging helps to a degree, in that we now know it's blowing up in the setting of point params. However, this function hasn't changed in 1.6, so I'm rather baffled.

According to the line number, it's this line:

glPointParameterf(GL_POINT_SIZE_MIN, adjMinSize);
Ideally what I'd like you to do is confirm that it really is that line that's failing, and maybe play with a few things to see if you can figure out why. For example, what's the value of 'adjMinSize'? Does it matter what that value is (try hardcoding a few different things)?. Try commenting it out and see if it complains about any other line (and if so, comment that out to). Ideally if we can just get it functioning we can put a hack in to bypass what seems to be a GL bug on the 9200 drivers.
ttim
Gnoblar

Post by ttim »

A have the same problem.
System:
Ubuntu 8.04
ATI Readon 9250
Ogre 1.6 Source build

I commented out this lines and run make && make install.
OgreGLRenderSystem.cpp Line: 1288+

// no scaling required
			// GL has no disabled flag for this so just set to constant
			glPointSize(size);

if (mCurrentCapabilities->hasCapability(RSC_POINT_EXTENDED_PARAMETERS))
			{
// 				float val[4] = {1, 0, 0, 1};
// 				glPointParameterfv(GL_POINT_DISTANCE_ATTENUATION, val);
// 				glPointParameterf(GL_POINT_SIZE_MIN, minSize);
// 				if (maxSize == 0.0f)
// 					maxSize = mCurrentCapabilities->getMaxPointSize();
// 				glPointParameterf(GL_POINT_SIZE_MAX, maxSize);
			} 
The SettingUpAnApplication Example runs. But didn't Load Fonts or Textures. (both SettingUpAnApplicatin and Samples ) :?

Hope I can help.
sinbad
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by sinbad »

This is now fixed in Subversion, thanks to jamesdt for discovering the root cause.

The issue was that the latest 9200 drivers report that they support GL 1.4 but in fact only implement the ARB/EXT versions of glPointParameters, not the core versions. This is a violation of GL 1.4, because glPointParameters was promoted to the core from ARB/EXT in this version, but no-one said ATI GL drivers were perfect ;)