3d textures

Problems building or running the engine, queries about how to use features etc.
muppet
Halfling

3d textures

Post by muppet »

Hi,

I want to use 3d textures, but i'm not sure where to start. Do they have to be built at runtime by joining multiple 2d png's together or is there a 3d texture format? Also, can i use 512x512x8 textures? I have no problem creating the texture co-ordinates in 3d, that part I am fine with. I dont know, however, how to get the 3d texture into the engine. Searching these forums i've found no other posts asking this.

Thanks.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

dds is the only format currently supported for 3d textures afaik (that devil supports, that is), I'm not sure how to make them but there should be some MS tool for that.
I'd be glad to support some open format for volume textures but as far as I know, none exists.

You can also build the texture in memory, see the VolTex demo on how to do that. You can, for example, load slices using the Image class and then combine them into a volume

BTW: you can have 3d textures of any power-of-two dimensions. 512x512x8 is ok, so is 512x32x8.
muppet
Halfling

Post by muppet »

Ah, I was hoping there would be an easy way and being on linux I can't use MS tools, i'll have to use the method in the voltex demo.

Thanks for your help.
:wumpus:
OGRE Retired Team Member
OGRE Retired Team Member

Post by :wumpus: »

It'd be nice to be able to load a 3d texture from a series of slices, but our material script syntax doesn't really allow for that at the moment.