character orientation problem

Fumé

30-03-2008 17:55:17

Hi everybody,

we are having troubles with a rigged character that comes out 90 degrees rotated around the x-axis when exported with ofusion. See this screenshot from lexiview

As you can see in the following screenshot the character is fine in the ofusion viewport so obviously there is a difference in how the orientation is handled during export. I didn't get around checking that yet but my guess is that there is an additional rotation in the osm file. But we would like to get rid of this rotation so as to have a mesh that is properly oriented by itself.

We noticed that the x-orientation when selecting the character is 90 degrees for the x-axis so this is likely where the problem is. When setting this to 0 the character mesh gets rotated (as one should expect) but apparently due to the way the rig works, the animation is still oriented the same in both the 3ds and ofusion viewports. But for the exported model the animation is correct this way, while the bind-pose is rotated by 90 degrees.

Probably what one has to expect ;-) I searched the forum, read a lot about reset xform and tried it out. Including copying the skin modifier, resetting the x-form, collapsing the xform modifier with the mesh and pasting the skin modifier back in. Unfortunately, this completely messes up the mesh.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! You can find the 3ds9 file here

Thanks!

Markus

PS: the character was modelled and rigged in Maya and the animations were plotted onto the rig in Motion Builder. We are also trying to resolve the problem from this end but no luck so far.

Lioric

01-04-2008 02:21:34

This is beacuse Maya uses a different axis system, and when the object (its .mesh file) is loaded in that mesh viewer, the object is used without any other information of its correct position (and rotation) in the scene

In oFusion and in Max you see the object in the correct position becasue they handle the complete scene (hierarchy, objects, nodes, meshes), not the mesh only

After you reset the object xform, the object position must be correct (with the correct rotation)

What steps are you using to reset the xform that produce those results?

mpillit

09-05-2008 03:17:44

Im having this same problem with an imported model.

I tried the reset xform and got the same results. Unfortunately I dont know what program it was modeled in but its rigged and animated with a Max biped.

I've tried rotating the pivot point which screws up the way it looks in Max but it seems to animate correctly in the Neo Axis resource viewer. Unfortunately this causes problems in other areas and I'd like to have the Max orientation match the ogre orientation. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Lioric

09-05-2008 17:47:04

The solution for this issue was posted in the knowledgebase

The direct link for the article is:
Incorrect object rotation in Skeletal animated objects imported from other applications

mpillit

09-05-2008 21:03:44

Sweet! Worked perfectly. Thanks a bunch!

nanodust

28-07-2008 00:16:02

also don't forget about meshmagick !

i can't live without it

> MeshMagick transform -rotate=-90/0/1/0 fish.mesh

details on this post