Google

Mogre 1.7.x

Discussion regarding the Managed .Net Wrapper for Ogre, MOGRE (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mogre)

Moderators: OGRE Team, MOGRE Moderators

Mogre 1.7.x

Postby mstoyke » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:39 am

I've created a new thread for Mogre 1.7.1, because a lot of things have changed and we should have a fresh start for 1.7.1 here. The old thread can be found here.

The official repository can be found here on bitbucket. You need a Mercurial client to access the repository. For Windows I recommend to use TortoiseHG.

Compiled binaries are available on our sourceforge page. The subversion repository on sourceforge is obsolete now, because Mogre has switches to Mercurial some time ago.

For Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET framework versions 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5, you can download the compiled binaries here and the debug info files here.
For Visual Studio 2010 and the .NET framework version 4.0, you can download the compiled binaries here and the debug info files here.
Note: Don't miss the additionaly repository/binary link at the end of this post.

Please keep in mind that you need to install the right version of the Visual C++ runtime redistributable to use (the release versions of) these libraries, because Ogre is still a native C++ library and will not work without it. I don't know any valid way to use the debug versions of the libraries without Visual Studio being installed on the machine. As far as I know there is no redistributable package for the debug versions of the runtime libraries available.

For more information about Mogre, visit the Mogre wiki pages here.

We have planned to use the bugtracker at bitbucket to track any issues related to further development and bugfixes of Mogre.

If you want to compile Mogre yourself, there are current a lot of steps required to do so. We will soon update the wiki with the latest build instructions. Currently the build instructions in the wiki refer to old, obsolete repositories.

You can always look at the current list of maintainer to see who are the people responsible for certain parts of Mogre. We have decided to have more than one maintainer for Mogre, so the development of the project does not rely on a single person anymore.

The latest version of the Mogre SDK installer is currently only available for use with Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET frameworks 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. A version for the newer Visual Studio 2010, targeting the 4.0 framework, should be available soon.

We are currently looking for more people who like to get involved in Mogre development. We are especially low on maintainers for certain add-ons, most of them have currently no maintainer at all. If you are interested in joining our team, just send a PM to the current maintainers.

The compiled binaries are considered quite stable, but we will keep the "beta" tag on them until we get more feedback from the community in these forums. We don't have the manpower at the moment to test everything properly, so if you use the current Mogre versions in any of your projects, please give us some feedback here.

Even if you don't have any problems, that information is important for us. Most of the times we get feedback about the parts that are not working properly, but we only know about those working parts of Mogre that we use in our own projects so far.

Update 1 (2010-07-30):

I have created a new repository here that contains Visual Studio projects for people who want to have an easy start using (trying) Mogre. The repository contains projects for VS2008/.NET 2.0 and for VS2010/.NET 4.0, both use the latest Mogre 1.7.1 libraries.

To make any use of this repository, clone it from bitbucket with a Mercurial client and open the Visual Studio solution for the version you want to use. Just compile the project and start it, everything should be working out of the box. If you see an ogre head rotating in a window, clap your hands, you just successfully compiled the project.

If you have any problems, just let me know. And make sure DirectX runtime Feb2010 or newer is installed on your machine, the projects use the Direct 3D renderer.
Last edited by Beauty on Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: made some text bold + added a note for the second repository link

For this message the author mstoyke has received 2 kudos
mstoyke
Gremlin
 
Posts: 199
Kudos: 19
Joined: 25 May 2009
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks for the nice overview.
I locked the old thread and set an information+link to its first post.
Also I added a link to here from the Mogre main page of wiki.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:55 pm

I got a personal message by somebody who thought, I would had written the wiki page Building MOGRE 1.7 from source.
But I have no experience in building Mogre, so I publish his question here:

ScareGlow wrote:I need to build Mogre myself from the repository provided here: http://bitbucket.org/mogre/mogre
Is there any tutorial or something like that that shows me how you get that running?

In your tutorial you say that your mogre solution is already prewrapped and the ogre source is pre-patched.
What does this mean.
I only know that I need to build ogre first, and then mogre. But I don't know how to build ogre?

The reason is that I want to build mogre in visual studio 2010 for x64.

Thanks in advance, Daniel
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:01 pm

I found the prerequisites page in the wiki - maybe this helps related to build depencies:
http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... requisites
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby mstoyke » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:42 pm

ScareGlow wrote:I need to build Mogre myself from the repository provided here: http://bitbucket.org/mogre/mogre
Is there any tutorial or something like that that shows me how you get that running?

In your tutorial you say that your mogre solution is already prewrapped and the ogre source is pre-patched.
What does this mean.
I only know that I need to build ogre first, and then mogre. But I don't know how to build ogre?

The reason is that I want to build mogre in visual studio 2010 for x64.

Thanks in advance, Daniel


For the project in the bitbucket/mogre repository, use these build instructions: https://bitbucket.org/mogre/mogre/src/tip/BUILD
The build instructions in the wiki are still for my old, obsolete repository that had a different setup.

You might have to change some details to target x64, please let us know if you could manage to compile a working 64bit version of Mogre/Ogre. I never tried, because I don't want to support two builds of my software and 32bit is still very common with the primary audience for what I do.
mstoyke
Gremlin
 
Posts: 199
Kudos: 19
Joined: 25 May 2009
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 am

mstoyke wrote:For the project in the bitbucket/mogre repository, use these build instructions: https://bitbucket.org/mogre/mogre/src/tip/BUILD
The build instructions in the wiki are still for my old, obsolete repository that had a different setup.

Ok, so I could add a second wiki page for building Mogre 1.7 and point out the difference.
The current content is related to your modified code of your own repository in bitbucket.org/mstoyke (VS2010 and .NET 4.0).
The instructions of your last post are related to the "official" code in the bitbucket.org/mogre repository (VS2008 and .NET 4.0).
Is this right?
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby mstoyke » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:26 am

The information in the wiki should be updated to reflect the steps needed to build from the new repository. My old repositories are obsolete and I will delete them in some weeks from now.
mstoyke
Gremlin
 
Posts: 199
Kudos: 19
Joined: 25 May 2009
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:03 pm

I thought your private repository has modifications which are not fully compatible to the "official" Mogre sources.
This modified version you offered in the thread Mogre with MyGUI, PhysX and SlimDX just a few days ago. So there would be a sense to keep the related build instruction on a seperate page.
Or did I misunderstand something?
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby mstoyke » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:31 pm

The EngineDeps repository is a different story. You're right, that this repository contains some changes and is not compatible with the official release. But I'm not planning to remove the EngineDeps repository, so if you want to keep some build instructions for it, it's fine. My older repositories in bitbucket/mstoyke that are references in the current build instructions in the wiki will be removed in some weeks. So the build instructions should be updated for the official repository.

I think some people already got confused, because the build instructions in the wiki are not working with the official repository, but only with my old repository in bitbucket/mstoyke.
mstoyke
Gremlin
 
Posts: 199
Kudos: 19
Joined: 25 May 2009
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:37 pm

I'm not shure if I understood right:

The current wiki build instruction works well with the EngineDeps repository.
Is this right?
Or did the instruction only works with the other (obsolete) repository?
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby mstoyke » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 pm

The current instructions in the wiki work well with my old, obsolete repositories and might also work with the version in EngineDeps. But I never wrote down any step-by-step instructions for EngineDeps, because it's not been necessary for me to recompile the binaries in this repository.

It's best to assume that recompiling anything in EngineDeps will cause some trouble, because none of the available build instructions will fit the repository structure 100%. But it's still close enough to the official repositories so that the build instructions will at least help you to solve these problems fast.

For now the EngineDeps repository is just for people who like to experiment with the code and modules, but you should not use it if you are just taking your first steps in developing for/with Mogre.
mstoyke
Gremlin
 
Posts: 199
Kudos: 19
Joined: 25 May 2009
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:00 am

Until Ogre 1.5 the SceneNode class contained the properties WorldPosition and WorldOrientation.
Unfortunately in the Ogre core library the methods getWorldPosition, setWorldPosition, getWorldOrientation, setWorldOrientation were removed.
Instead of this now we have to use _getDerivedPosition(), _setDerivedPosition(), _getDerivedOrientation(), _setDerivedOrientation() instead.
I don't know why the Ogre maintainers removed the world members, because they wrote application developers shouldn't use members which starts with underscore. These members would only be for internal stuff. Now they force Ogre users to use such methods. Maybe they wanted to remove redundant methods? They didn't gave me an answer for this question which I asked in the main forum.
I think it's nice to have World paramters. Everybody knows what's meaning (instead of derived).

For Mogre I would be happy when we add the 2 world properties again (and map them to the 4 get/set methods of Ogre which are ugly and not C# like).
Also this would increase the compatiblity to older appplications and code snippets.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:41 pm

mstoyke wrote:For Visual Studio 2008 and the .NET framework versions 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5, you can download the compiled binaries here and the debug info files here.

The files in debug are looking strange.
In older Mogre versions the debug version of Mogre had the postfix "_d" like the other files. So it's name was Mogre_d.dll.
Did you change the file name? Or did you mix debug and release files?
When using _d also for the Mogre dll file, then it's clear which version it is. When the debug version doesn't have this postfix, then this could cause trouble when somebody mixes the file types.

deadlock wrote:I uploaded everything to my webspace.

You forgot some dll files. Most important are OgreMain.dll and RenderSystem_xxx.dll.
I added them to your project.
Also I needed to add OgreCore.zip and change the path in resources.cfg.
The other ones I commented out in the config file (for testing).
Now I can see a splash screen (the Ogre config dialog?) for a moment and in the ogre.log file is no exception, no error, no warning.
Your exception still comes on my computer.

By the way - you added the MogreFramework to the namespace, but you don't use it.
Also there is no code which initializes Ogre components (like renderwindow, root, etc.)

So I suppose you create a new instance of class OgreWindow. Then you just call its Go() method.
Maybe there is a need to initialize something before calling this method.
... I looked into the class reference, because I don't know what it does. I don't use it in my application. But I don't see even one member in the class description. Maybe it was removed in the Ogre 1.7 version?
http://www.ogre3d.org/docs/api/html/int ... indow.html

Now I looked to the wiki page basic tutorial 0. I don't know what should happen when calling this code correct. Maybe nothing. Only get no error.
The tutorial 0 realy needs an update - maybe also some further ones, because some base to the tutorial 0 code.
On the other hand it seems to be the basic application structure which is used for the further tutorials.


mstoyke wrote:I would like to know how many people actually need a working MogreFramework.dll for their projects.


The aim of this "framework" is to make the newcomers life easy. He shouldn't get confused of much code. He should lean the basics.
The framework contains some initialize code. (maybe adding a light, camera, support of camera movements ... I don't remember details).
In tutorial 6 the user learns how to create an application without the framework.
Also users shouldn't use the framework later in own applications. It's just a helper for the quickstart of learning Mogre.



...
oh wait - I got an idea.
The OgreWindow isn't part of Ogre. It's part of the framework.
MogreFramework.OgreWindow()

The exception happens when calling
win = new MogreFramework.OgreWindow();

Now I added the source code of the MogreFramework to the project to make the debugging more easy. So you can follow each step inside the framework.
http://code.google.com/p/mogresdk/sourc ... eFramework
...
ok, now I had a problem, because the binary output directory was different.
Now I can debug inside the MogreFramework code.
Your warning box comes "Something is wrong here", but it seems to work well.
The aim of tutorial 0 is to only get a black window (I think).
Then you learn in following tutorials how to show something.

Sorry I can't upload the project not.
I have to leave my work just in this second.
See you in some days. I go away for some days.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby mstoyke » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:23 pm

Beauty wrote:The files in debug are looking strange.
In older Mogre versions the debug version of Mogre had the postfix "_d" like the other files. So it's name was Mogre_d.dll.
Did you change the file name? Or did you mix debug and release files?
When using _d also for the Mogre dll file, then it's clear which version it is. When the debug version doesn't have this postfix, then this could cause trouble when somebody mixes the file types.


This is by intention. It makes using the Mogre.dll with Visual Studio much easier, because you can't easily use different reference for debug and release builds. It's possible through editing the VS project file directly, but I don't like messing around with these files manually.

You can also read a more detailed statement about this issue here: http://www.ogre3d.org/addonforums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12052#p71441
mstoyke
Gremlin
 
Posts: 199
Kudos: 19
Joined: 25 May 2009
Location: Germany

Re: Mogre 1.7.1

Postby Beauty » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:17 am

That's right with the dll name. I just was wondering.

One year ago GantZ or Bekas tried to put the OgreMain.dll file into the Mogre.dll file.
Then the filename would be just Ogre.dll. This would avoid some problems and would have advantages, but I can't remember details. In the past the including of OgreMain.dll into the wrapper dll file failed, because the compilation aborted after many hours by an out of memory warning. If interested, I can search for the old discussion posts.
What do you think about? Would it be useful to try it again? Maybe 64bit Windows can do the compilation.
Help to add information to the wiki. Also tiny edits will let it grow ... :idea:
Add your country to your profile ... it's interesting to know from where of the world you are.
IRC chat ... Mogre: irc://freenode/#mogre ... Ogre: irc://freenode/#ogre3d
User avatar
Beauty
OGRE Community Helper
 
Posts: 1645
Kudos: 37
Joined: 09 May 2007
Location: Germany

Next

Return to MOGRE

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest