Google

[Physx] Controller Capsule <> Shape Capsule

Discussion regarding the Managed .Net Wrapper for Ogre, MOGRE (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mogre)

Moderators: OGRE Team, MOGRE Moderators

[Physx] Controller Capsule <> Shape Capsule

Postby Tubulii » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:03 pm

I am trying to integrate Physx into my small project but the character controller is very ... uncooperative:

The "usual way" to build a capsule:

Radius = e.g. 25
Height = EntityBoundingBoxHeight - Radius*2 (e.g. 90 - 25*2 = 40)

Character controller with same values (and skinWidth=0, StepOffset=0) and same position (with 50 offset), but the shape is different. This would be no problem if I know how to include this in my calculations...

The character capsule is smaller and floats over the ground, but again the input values are the same...

Tubulii
Goblin

Kudos: 15

Re: [Physx] Controller Capsule <> Shape Capsule

Postby DirtyHippy » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:33 pm

This is a common question on the Physx forums and one that I never really seemed to find an answer for. There is a nagging feeling in my head that I am just doing something wrong - but many other people complain about this as well. In my game I had to specify a Y offset on the character's mesh in order to align it with the capsule.

*shrug*
DirtyHippy
Gnoblar

Kudos: 5

Re: [Physx] Controller Capsule <> Shape Capsule

Postby Tubulii » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:26 pm

DirtyHippy wrote:This is a common question on the Physx forums and one that I never really seemed to find an answer for.

Yes,... you are right. I will post it in the physx forum.
DirtyHippy wrote:There is a nagging feeling in my head that I am just doing something wrong - but many other people complain about this as well. In my game I had to specify a Y offset on the character's mesh in order to align it with the capsule.

More or mess this is my approach, too. Until now it is quite magical for me how Physx calculate the controller capsule...
Tubulii
Goblin

Kudos: 15

Return to MOGRE