Ogre 1.12.10 was just released. This “holiday release” contains mostly bugfixes, however there are also some notable additions.
But first, we want thank everyone for their support, as we reached 2000 stars on github.
Table of Contents
- Native GLES2 RenderSystem on Windows
- Improved RenderToVertexBuffer
- Improved ParticleSystem
- Easy 3D Text – aka MovableText out of the box
Native GLES2 RenderSystem on Windows
Due to some work on WGL, you can now build and use the GLES2 RenderSystem on windows without any glue libraries like ANGLE. Consequently it is included in the SDK, so it is easy to try. If you are on NVIDA/ Intel that is – AMD does not support the respective extension. There are no screenshots here, as they would look almost exactly like on GL3+.
Shaders bound to
RenderToVertexBuffer (aka. Transform Feedback/ Stream Output) can now use auto parameters (
param_named_auto) as in any other stage.
Furthermore the D3D11 implementation was updated and the GPU particles samples now also runs on D3D11 too.
ParticleSystem and the default
BillboardParticleRenderer received some optimization regarding Colour and bounds related computations.
Notably, Ogre now uniformly samples the Particle direction, where it would previously incorrectly bias towards the poles:
Easy 3D Text – aka MovableText out of the box
While working on the Particles I got the idea that one could re-purpose the existing BillboardSet for 3D text rendering, and indeed it fits perfectly as you see above. No more snippets from the Wiki needed and everything integrates with the existing API as:
auto font = FontManager::getSingleton().getByName("SdkTrays/Caption"); auto bbs = mSceneMgr->createBillboardSet(); font->putText(bbs, "OGRE\n ...", 10);
Furthermore, I fixed the glyph packing code which now correctly aligns the font-atlas elements, thus obsoleting the
character_spacer tuning option.