Good news! We finally tagged the Ogre 1.9 branch as ‘stable‘, making it the new current and recommended version. We would advise you to update wherever possible, to benefit from all the fixes and improvements that made their way into the new release.
Right now, we don’t have any published SDKs yet, since we still rely on team and community members to help with the building and packaging process and that takes some time of course (we have it on our list to automate that process, but so far there always were more pressing topics to tackle 😉 ). But I have already heard that Windows SDKs are well underway and I expect the other ones to surface soon as well. We will update the download page as they become available and also try to update the announcement thread in the forums.
For an outline of the changes, have a look at the collected Ogre 1.9 change log in the wiki and at our JIRA tracker for all tickets fixed/solved by 1.9.
So what’s next? We are already working on Ogre 1.10 which will contain the changes from three of our five GSoC 2013 projects (details in the planning thread). In parallel, the work on the revamped Ogre 2.0 will continue as well…we’ve also got a related news post upcoming that will support those efforts. But as usual, we heavily rely on you as he community to support us with JIRA tickets, tracking down bugs and creating patches and adding new features. So chime in, whenever possible. Thanks!
BTW: With the release of Ogre 1.9 and the start of development for Ogre 1.10, we took the opportunity to get back to properly using the ‘default‘ branch, meaning Ogre 1.9 has been merged into it as well as Ogre 1.10 (which then was closed off), so ‘default‘ is once again our bleeding edge for development and preparation of Ogre 1.10. Please use it as the target for all pull-requests unless they are specifically meant for either Ogre 1.9 (only bug fixes) or Ogre 2.0.
Good news! We have just added the v1-9-0RC2 tag (commit) to our repository, indicating that we reached our RC2 milestone. Within the next four weeks we will fix any potential major bugs and will then release it on the the 10th November as “stable” to become the new de-jure Ogre version.
Note: As outlined in this version planning thread, we did not include any results of our GSoC 2013 projects in Ogre 1.9 yet, to not delay it any further. This merge will partially happen in the new version Ogre 1.10 and the rest of it in Ogre 2.0 (see the thread for more details and the reasoning behind it).
Since the Ogre 1.10 branch has now been created (commit), we can also officially share its name: Ogre 1.10 aka “Xalafu”. JIRA has been updated to reflect the new branches and versions as well.
Some days ago we finally tagged our official source code repository with “v1-9-0RC1” which of course means to we reached a development state that we consider feature-complete for Ogre 1.9. As usual we first release a Release Candidate (RC) version that – if no major issues are found or any upcoming issues were fixed – will be declared final/stable and then become the official current Ogre version. So please: Wherever possible switch to the new version to give it a try and report any issues you find to our Ogre JIRA tracker so that we as the team can tackle them.
The download section has been updated to point to the newly created Ogre 1.9 RC1 SDKs that can be downloaded by those that do not want to build the new version from source themselves. Otherwise, as usual follow these instructions (you need to grab the source directly from our BitBucket repository since we did not prepare any source bundles yet).
Lastly, the mandatory changelog. We will just list some of the major points here, the detailed list can of course as usual be found in the wiki.
- New LOD Volume Rendering Component with LOD from GSoC 2012
- Terrain Improvements from GSoC 2012
- Android platform support
- Windows Phone 8 platform support
- Windows Metro / WinRT support
- OpenGL3+ Render System (still experimental and under heavy development)
- Improvements to all Render Systems, e.g. DirectX11 from GSoC 2012
- multitude of bug fixes
With Ogre 1.9 out of the way we can now focus on the upcoming, major release Ogre 2.0 which will entail a lot of internal core optimizations to get Ogre’s speed up to the levels to be able to compete with other rendering engines. Quite a bit of profiling and brainstorming was already done to get us started. One other big step in that direction will of course be this year’s Google Summer of Code where we will concentrate on those areas (for additional topic proposals see this topic list the dev team compiled). If you want to help, just join into the discussion. We are glad about all the support we can get!